cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Extender not taking password

I am trying to set up my extender (11ac dual band WiFi extender 1200) and I've managed to connect it to my router but when I click on the extender in my WiFi connection on my phone and try to input the password it keeps coming back with incorrect password. 

I have tried my original router password and the password I chose when I changed the router password and also I tried the wireless key on the back of the unit. I've also done a factory reset and tried again but it still won't accept any of them. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Extender not taking password

Assuming you are talking about the BT Extender which method did you use to set it up?

Video - Setting up the 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 | BT Help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi. 

Yes it's the BT one. I used WPS to connect it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

If you can factory reset and go via the manual method, then you will have more feedback as to what is going on and in my opinion more likely to work.

I always prefer the manual setup, in fact ive never used WPS once yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I only have a work laptop and I'm not overly great with tech so WPS seemed easier. 

I have done a factory reset but perhaps I will have to try the manual method. 

The password you use when you connect to the extender is your router password I assume, not the wireless key printed on the label on the back of the unit? I have tried both but not sure which one I should be inputting. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Broadly speaking you'll connect to the extender by connecting to its WIFI not your routers.....so what is stamped on the back of it, the SSID and Password. Alot the time say your parent WIFI is 'homenetwork' the extender WIFI SSID ends up 'homenetwork_EXT' and your devices will join which ever WIFI is strongest, in the ideal situation.

But you can indeed setup extenders to have the same WIFI network details as your parent router, you just have to manually do that so you dont have two WIFI networks, thats why I say follow that video and take on the manual setup, you'll learn a little along the way.

You're not going to be breaking any rules connecting the work laptop to the extender directly via ethernet as shown in the manual setup video, provided you have an ethernet port on the laptop.

I agree, WPS is easier, but for me its something that is a 'fingers crossed' situation, manual gives you insight.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@fladavid 

Just follow the videos rather than guessing.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Yes. My broadband is Vodafone so it gives me the option of Vodafone ext 2 or Vodafone ext 5 rather than the BT ext 2 or BT ext 5 shown in the video guide. This is where I'm getting into difficulty as to connect it asks for the password and I've tried the one on the extender label named "wireless key" and it said incorrect password and then I tried my routers password and it says the same. 

I think I will have to try the manual way like you say. See if I can find the problem there. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@fladavid 

This is the BT customer forum.

Try the Vodaphone forum https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

EXT 2 and EXT 5 are referring to the two WIFI bands 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, its not uncommon for extenders to split out the WIFI bands.

Anyway, i'm sure you'll have more luck using the manual guide.

0 Ratings