Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Extending my whole home network

Hi all

i have a HH6 with the wifi switched off and then four whole home disks providing the wifi.  Obviously one of them is plugged into the HH6 via Ethernet.  

I need to to extend the network further is there anything that will extend the whole home wifi futher? Ideally want to get it across a courtyard and into another building about 15meters away. 

Thanks for for any help 

josh. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Extending my whole home network

Hi @Joshbear11

Have you tried positioning the existing Whole Home basestations such that one is on the edge of the other building? Just as an experiment to see how well it works. It is a fair distance between the buildings and I don't know how much weather would come to play if you went with this approach. It'd just be more of the same technology if it works. Or you could also try leaving your network as-is and installing a WiFi Analyzer app on your mobile and seeing what the signal strength looks like in the other building in a spot where you could install another WH base station.

If the property permits, I'd consider running some external cat5e/cat6 between the buildings and putting a wireless AP on the end it. It's a bit more work than wireless, but a better connection.

There are options like wireless repeaters you could consider, but I don't have any data on how well this would work with the Whole Home.

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi

placed a disk as close as possible and you get one bar of signal in the other building but only if you stand near the window so almost a win but not quite.  I do have the option of placing something in the main house upstairs close to the external wall nearest the annex but didn't think you could add a fifth disk and then a sixth in the annex itself hence the question about an extender.  

Thanks

josh

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

There is a thread here with two packs of discs in the network towards the end:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Whole-Home-with-more-than-3-discs/m-p/1703818#M1...

There seem to have been several posts with issues scaling beyond 3 in the forums here. I half wonder whether Google WiFi would be better in this regard as it's the only consumer esh networking solution that follows an IEEE standard (IEEE802.11s). I could not find any complaints about scaling nodes on the forums there.

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Alternativly, you could try a outdoor P2P WiFi system such as using Ubiquiti's products for example their Unifi or airmax products to create a point to point system into the outbuilding?

I think tp-link also do some similar access points.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks all. Appreciated the good advice. Have decided to go the wired route. An electrician has been booked to run an ethernet cable from the main house loft where the gigabyte switch is to the other building. I assume I can then plug in something that will send out a wifi signal from that?

Regards

Josh
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

You can plug in a wireless access point. If you are not worried about the 5GHz band, then the TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, is a good choice.

flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Yes, as @Keith_Beddoe points out you can buy a Wireless Access Point that'll do the job and that option looks like a good one.

Alternatively, pretty much any wireless router you can buy has the option to be configured as a wireless access point too. Obviously you should double check before buying, but I don't recall seeing one that can't do this.

Best regards

P.

0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Or you could buy a single whole home wifi disk and plug it in the other side of your Ethernet cable.

For the record, I've managed to setup a 6 disk whole home installation last week. It works reliably, it's the app that doesn't..
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thanks all

appreciate the advice.  

Josh

0 Ratings