Did you mean: 
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Extending wifi which option??

Go to solution

Hi thank you for reading.

I have BT infinity with a HH3.  

The problem is I live in an old house with solid brick walls and it is a very long building, where the master socket is 1/3 of the way along so our bedroom which is the furthest point gets no wifi, the kitchen which is on the same level as the HH3 also gets no signal and where I sit in the dining room I can just about get wifi but my husband sitting next to me has to use his 4G to check emails.

I am looking to use tablets and phones in the dead spots rather than wired connections.  I have previously tried to use a TP Link extender which worked for a while and then seemed to interfere with our phones which would only then connect to the HH3 if the extender was switched off.

I have spoken to BT today who have told me that to get a newer hub I will have to pay for it but of course there is no guarantee this will work.  I am quite willing to pay for something but I want to make sure it will work with my set up now and in the future.

Any help you can give I would appreciate it.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Extending wifi which option??

Go to solution

Do not pay for a new hub it will not be any better than the HH3. Have a look at http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

thank you I have looked at those but a couple of questions if you know

1. it says powerline but I have two different fuse boxes so is it using wifi or my electrical system as it suggests?

2. do I have to use the broadband extender as it says it must be put into a socket not an extension and with my modem using one socket and the hub using another I wouldn't have a spare socket within reach of the cable?

Old houses just weren't designed for modern technology Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

If you have 2 different fuse boxes powerline adaptors may not work. The spare socket problem can be overcome by using an extender with a pass-through socket such as these http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-wi-fi-home-hotspot-plus-600-kit-084286-BVFB.html. However, that is academic if the powerline adaptors won't work!! I wouldn't normally recommend wifi extenders, but unless you are prepared to run Ethernet cables to where you need the wifi they are probably your only solution. Have a look here http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/wi-fi-extenders  There are other suppliers of all these types of devices and you are not restricted to using items from the BT shop.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

There is always the Whole home wifi solution, but at £300 its a bit expensive. http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

If the various locations you want wifi are fed from the same fusebox as the Hub, then powerline adaptors will be ok, its only when trying to connect via both fuseboxes problems might occur.

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

thank you for your help, yes I had seen the whole home wifi kit as you say very expensive at the moment, I will investigate the fuse boxes but think that one is for the extension that was put on the house which is the far end which I am trying to cover.

I thought the advantage of using a BT product may make it easier to connect, the TP link just didn't seem to want to work with the hub and I see a lot of posts with similar issues even for newer versions.

At least my thoughts re a new hub were correct.

thank you for taking the time to respond to me Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I have used the wifi extenders with 1 of them in an extension and it worked fine although they tell you not to. Buy from tesco or somewhere similar and if it doesn't work you can take them back, their return policy is quite good.

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

sounds a good plan Smiley LOL

was thinking the same, I had thought Argos if they did them as they give you 30 days to take it back

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Just updating in case this comes up for anyone in future searches.

I bought the BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-fi Extender 750 from Argos as it was the same price as BT but without the delivery cost.  Note that it comes in shrinkwrap so told once opened could not return it unless faulty of course.

Easy set up using the button on the hub.

I had a TP link before that stopped working and I was able to put that on the landing and it told me that it was receiving a signal, however, this BT one said too far.  It won't work in a number of my sockets so has ended up in the hall, one brick wall and 5.5 metres from the hub.  Having said that the wifi signal it gives out reaches up the stairs through several brick walls and probably 10 metres.

About 24 hours after installing it suddenly went off line and disconnected, I logged into the hub and reconnected it and gave it a fixed ISP code and so far it is all ok.  Husband has streamed you tube and spotify from one of the furthest points.

Hub says actual transfer speed 54 mbps

extender says 28mbps

mac connected to hub via ethernet says 100mbps

ipad using extender says 54mbps

hope this helps someone else

0 Ratings