cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

FTTP WiFi Extending

Currently I'm with Sky and getting 70 down over FTTC, My pc has no WiFi card so I use their extender box with a LAN cable to my pc. My router is at the bottom of my house and I'm on the third and I have no issues with speed and always get 70.

I'm going to be getting the 900 package as the hardware was recently installed in my street. (If lockdown ends) I just wanted to know if I would be able to get decent speeds with BT's extender. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP WiFi Extending

It seems to me you probably  use some sort of Sky branded ‘power line’ Ethernet extender, (so it’s  nothing to do with WiFi  really), if you are getting a faster FTTP broadband service with BT you could still use the ‘extenders’ that you already have ( they are generic, and will work with any provider) but they may well limit the speed at your PC

You could buy BT branded ones and they will do the same thing, but  , if you pay, for example , a 900Mb service into your home, you may not get anywhere near that speed at the PC using them, not much point paying for 900Mb if the ‘extender’  limits you ( for example ) to 100Mb ish

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Have thought about buying either a wireless card or a wireless dongle for your PC. They are not expensive, about £10 upwards. If you get a decent dual band one you should get good enough speeds for anything you will be doing on your PC. That of course assumes you get a decent wireless signal at your PC.

Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply. It isn't power line it's their equivalent of BT's smart discs. I use the ethernet from that.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I thought about getting one but they all seem cheap and I would be doubtful I would get fast speeds. Do you have any recommendations for one with great range and speed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I can not give any recommendations but their cheap cost doesn't mean they are not any good. If you check the specs you can see what speeds they can cope with and no doubt there will be online reviews you can check out.

0 Ratings