cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Faulty Equipment

Since I moved into my present home some 38 years ago, part of the BT equipment included a hard wired bell which was quite useful, and even more so now, as I am now  partialloy deaf. 

In July 2017 the following message appeared on my bill :- "IMPORTANT: Your equipment rental is now free. Your rental benefits will be free until Nov 2018, then your rental will end. You can keep the product. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority"  which would imply the benefits would apply until November 2018.

Since the bell seems to be a lot weaker in sound (must be some 50 years old) I reported this to BT, and they have advised the bell is no longer in production and cannot be repaired.  Asked how this can be rectified, they stated a charge of £129 would apply to have the bell disconnected, although I proposed purchasing a bell from the BT shop which can be moved around if needed.  However, BT stood by their decision.

I then lodged a written   complaint, which met with the same response as previous, except they reminded me I no longer pay rental on the bell.

Although I am a pensioner (not looking for charity) the standard charge of £129 represents  one weeks state pension, which by contrast to other service industries is outrageous, and probably designed to put customers off seeking a simple job.

The bottom line being, as the bell is NOT my responsibility until Nov 2018, then it must be the responsibility of BT along with associated "benefits."

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Faulty Equipment

A quick search on line for 'external bell' found a new 'BT' branded bell for around £45.

TBH what you have is a bit of a relic from when 'BT' (Post Office Telephones)  was the supplier of everything on their intergrated  phone system, that era is long gone and BT is more or less a service provider, buying services from suppliers wholesale and selling them retail, the network is the responsibility of Openreach, the equipment connected is your responsibility, unless under warranty from the company that supplied it , which is pretty much just the router and possibly a filter for their broadband customers, which if faulty under the warranty period are just dispatched through the post for the customer to fit.

As your post acknowledges, the bell is around 50 years old , it's an item that BT as a service provider don't presumably don't offer anymore and OR do not provide 'residential' end user equipment.

I would think  your external bell should be wired in such a way that it can be isolated from the 'line' for testing purposes , and if you have broadband should be 'filtered' so as not to potentially affect broadband performance.

The chances are , much like a faulty phone extension socket , your provider and OR are not responsible, and it seems crazy to pay OR to just disconnect it, you would probably be wise to buy a bell yourself and get a local tradesperson to fit it, if it's on the consumer side of the master socket that's not against any rules.

It is a fair argument that it should be 'maintained' until Nov 2018, but you say it does work, it's just not as loud as it once was, if OR ( via BT) could be persuaded to visit and that itself runs the risk of being charged ,  the engineer wouldn't be able to go to the OR 'stores' and pick up a new one, like cable, clips, crimps etc 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
B1998
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

@OAP41wrote:

Since I moved into my present home some 38 years ago, part of the BT equipment included a hard wired bell which was quite useful, and even more so now, as I am now  partialloy deaf. 

In July 2017 the following message appeared on my bill :- "IMPORTANT: Your equipment rental is now free. Your rental benefits will be free until Nov 2018, then your rental will end. You can keep the product. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority"  which would imply the benefits would apply until November 2018.

Since the bell seems to be a lot weaker in sound (must be some 50 years old) I reported this to BT, and they have advised the bell is no longer in production and cannot be repaired.  Asked how this can be rectified, they stated a charge of £129 would apply to have the bell disconnected, although I proposed purchasing a bell from the BT shop which can be moved around if needed.  However, BT stood by their decision.

I then lodged a written   complaint, which met with the same response as previous, except they reminded me I no longer pay rental on the bell.

Although I am a pensioner (not looking for charity) the standard charge of £129 represents  one weeks state pension, which by contrast to other service industries is outrageous, and probably designed to put customers off seeking a simple job.

The bottom line being, as the bell is NOT my responsibility until Nov 2018, then it must be the responsibility of BT along with associated "benefits."

Have you thought about leaving your old bell in place (as long it's only just quieter and isn't disrupting your phone line) and simply buy a plug-in one. It doesn't sound like there's any benefit in "repairing" or disconnecting your old bell - not for £129!

Search online for "loud phone bell ringer" and you'll see plenty. There's one on BT Shop online here for £20 and I'm sure you can still buy them in stores like Currys or Argos or Amazon.

If you've only got one phone socket in your home, you can use a doubler so you can plug both the phone and the new bell in the same socket.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your response regarding the above.

Yes I have considered, and offered to buy a replacwement bell (portable) but........ there is a question regarding R E N which may then cause the rest of the circuit to be a little overloaded.

Thanks for your interest.

0 Ratings
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

Yes it is agreed the bell probably came in the days of Post Office Telephones, but BT were happy to go on charging rent for it until July 17 and then saying I have benefits ? until Nov 2018

Obviously the easiest route is to buy a plug in bell and hope this does not affect the R E N in some way.

Anyways, thanks for your views.

0 Ratings