cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Files disappearing from USB HDD attached to Smart Hub 2 - any ideas?

Go to solution

I have a perplexing problem - I have a BT Smart Hub 2 at home that I have an external USB HDD attached to for general file access and streaming movies from etc. Hundreds of Gigs of files keep disappearing from it. I would be the only user. The drive is formatted as NTFS.

History: A couple of weeks ago, I had a NAS drive attached (which ran for years flawlessly), but it started exhibiting the same problem. I decided to replace it with an (ageing) USB external 500Gb HDD. Same problem again. Finally a few days ago, I replaced the 500Gb drive with a brand new 2Tb seagate one in the same external USB housing. I tested it by copying a few gigs of files to it via Wi-Fi. After they finished copying I literally saw them disappear before my eyes after an automatic window refresh. The files aren't hidden but they can be accessed as long as the file copy is in progress. After which, they disappear...

I removed the drive from the router and attached it to my desktop machine. I copied just under 500Gb to it (all fine and accessible), then connected it back to the router. I checked it this morning and only 35Gb of files remain.

I have been through all the settings on the router but I can't see anything out of place. Can anyone on here give me any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Dave.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Files disappearing from USB HDD attached to Smart Hub 2 - any ideas?

Go to solution

I suggest you check for a virus or malware, ain't nothing to do with the router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Willdo, many thanks for the suggestion. 

Cheers,

Dave.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
I'm marking this as solved because even though my machines were virus and malware-free, the answer was to harden the security of the Smart Hub 2 by doubling the length of the password I used for access. Seems to have sorted it. Many thanks again! Dave.
0 Ratings