Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 90

Re: Firmware won't Update

Go to solution
Try installing the latest iOS or chrome app and use the app to update the firmware from the settings menu. I’m not sure this will work, but it’s worth a go.
0 Ratings
markcoley
Beginner
Message 82 of 90

Go to solution
That didn't work either. The log ended up with an entry like this:

24.03.2019 22:17:16 APP-Failed to check FW upgrade by 192.168.0.43
0 Ratings
JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 90

Go to solution

Pinging that ip address gets no response, so that server is either down (which has been known) or obselete.

Did you try to update using the web interface? -  http://mybtdevice.home 

____

Hold on, I think the ip address you sent through is a red hering. When I look at my log, the ip address of the update server is actually the ip address of my primary disk (the one connected to the router) - not an external service at all.

Long shot - but have you tried just plugging in one disk and applying the update to that first? If not, then I'm afraid we may be straying into the blind leading the blind here. I don't think I am really helping 😞

0 Ratings
markcoley
Beginner
Message 84 of 90

Go to solution
The 192.168.0.43 was the internal IP address of one of the three discs. I'd point a web browser at that address and get served up the disc's web page that I'd log into then click the firmware update button. I might take them to my brother's house one day (he is on BT broadband still) and see if I can update them there.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 85 of 90

Go to solution

Hi @markcoley  Sorry you are having a problem with the Whole Home Wifi. Give the product team a call on 0808 100 6116 (Mon to Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm and Sat 9.00am to 2.00pm) or drop them an email to btconnectedhome@bt.com and they will be best placed to help you get this resolved.

Cheers
John 

0 Ratings
markcoley
Beginner
Message 86 of 90

Go to solution

We've got them updating now! I e-mailed BT and got a reply very quickly advising me to manually change the DNS in the settings of the discs to 8.8.8.8 and then after getting dad to do this and then pressing the check for newer firmware it found the latest version! This is what BT suggested:

Please try the following steps:

1. Enter http://mybtdevice.home in a browser on any device connected to your Whole Home Wi-Fi
  2. Enter the Admin password (on the back of the master disc)
  3. Click Settings
  4. Click IP Addressing
  5. Select Manually set IP address (if the screen is blank at this stage, please try a different web browser)
  6. For the row "DNS server" change this to 8.8.8.8
  7. Click Save

Then please try to update the firmware again.​

I wonder if it was a glitch last night or perhaps TalkTalk's DNS was causing a problem. Who knows!

JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 90

Go to solution
Great to see you got good, quick advice from BT.
0 Ratings
SuperNilton
Beginner
Message 88 of 90

Go to solution

Has anybody been able to update the firmware recently? I have been stuck on v1.02.03 build03 for about a year and I finally decided to do something about it, but nothing seems to work.

After trying the steps listed by markcoley to no avail, I contacted BT's support via email. They are asking me to try a series of troubleshooting steps that I have already performed countless times since my last firmware update, but I don't think anything I can personally do will work. I believe the update server is unreachable again (as reported by other users last year) because I keep getting the "HTTP-Can't connect to BT auto upgrade server" error regardless of which troubleshooting steps I just took.

0 Ratings
markcoley
Beginner
Message 89 of 90

Go to solution
Which ISP are you with? My parents were on TalkTalk and adding the DNS of 8.8.8.8 to the WiFi discs made it work instantly. I had also set a permanent IP address of 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.1 was the address of the main router that the first disc was plugged into.) The other two discs were given addresses of 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. Could you take your discs to a friend and see if they'll update?
SuperNilton
Beginner
Message 90 of 90

Go to solution

I use Vodafone (in Portugal). I remember updating the firmware at least twice in the first few months and nothing changed in my local network.

I am new in Portugal, so I am afraid I do not have friends to ask something like this. But you gave me a good idea though... If I have time over the weekend, I am going to updating the firmware via VPN and/or via my 4G connection.

Thanks, markcoley!

0 Ratings