cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Fix for wifi instability caused by multiple CWMP value change events

I have the BT Home Hub 2 with 5 Complete WiFi discs (the black ones) running the usual mix of computers, tablets, phone and airplay devices together with 9 wifi cameras and its NVR.

The system has been running 99.9% perfectly since the beginning of the year. On the 30th Dec last year I have a couple of these messages in the Technical Log of the Advanced Settings.

CWMP: Session start now, server: https://pbthdm.x.x.x, Event code: 4 VALUE CHANGE

These are BT logins and should not be any concern. On the 8th of January I had three more. Again no cause for concern, just BT getting into the hub to "do stuff". No drop outs or anything.

On 18th January from 10am to 1pm I had fourteen (14!) of these messages and my internal WiFi collapsed. Cameras where inaccessible, airplay printer wouldn't work, I got kicked from a work call over the next couple of days. Looking at the devices from the Smart Hub 2 Manager they were all connected with excellent signal strength (-45dBm or better), the discs were all connected correctly with good signal (-70dBm or better), but the Link Rate provided by the BT App showed 1Mbps for the devices in question.

The poor links jumped around various cameras and devices in a random fashion. I called BT and an engineer suggested a factory reset - which we did but that did not resolve the issue. The whole internal network is unreliable and inconsistent. Most of the traffic is internal (to prove this to myself I used the access controls in the app to shut off internet access to cameras and airplay devices).

Just had a BT engineer visit and he agreed that the CWMP value changes of the 18th correlated with the device issues. It looks to me as if the Hub is throttling or otherwise trying to manage the devices. Something that didn't happen before the 18th and these messages.

Does anyone know how to completely factory reset a Hub or why these config changes stick beyond a factory reset?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fix for wifi instability caused by multiple CWMP value change events

@Danthelan 

The last firmware update changed the wireless mode to mode 2, for some reason.

Check it, and if its on mode 2, change it back to mode 1.

This has been reported before on this forum, and may be the cause of your problem.

Message 3 of 11

to factory reset presss the recessed button on back and hold for 20/30 secs until lights flash  when reboots remember to turn off smart setup in hub manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the tip. I checked and it's still on Mode 1 - the firmware was updated on 30th Dec (v0.24.04.11017-BT)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

The BT engineer and I did this reset a few days ago. I reset the SSID back to what I had before, which shows it was a factory reset rather than just cycling it, but the instability still occurs. Is there a "factory reset plus wipe out all the CWMP changes" procedure?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

you cannot revert back to old firmware after an update

have you tried changing the wifi channels from auto to specific channels  I would use a wifi analyser app on smartphone which will show surrounding networks and also channels in use then select a free or less congested channel 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The value change would be saved as part of the new firmware, and cannot be undone.

Message 8 of 11

@imjolly The firmware that was loaded on the 30th Dec is good, I don't need to roll that back. The system was working for most of January. in the original post I explain it was only after the CWMP events that the system became unstable. The firmware version remains unchanged.

Yes, I have used NetSpot to map the environment and settled on channels without interference. I did another survey a couple of days ago and the chosen channels are still good. Out of interest, the problem with the hub showing a device as connected but not having it any bandwidth has affected both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe So the solution is a replacement Hub from BT then I guess.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@Danthelan wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe So the solution is a replacement Hub from BT then I guess.

Quite possibly, as the firmware may be corrupted.

0 Ratings