cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

HH6 USB stick/USB SSD drive connection- Yes or No?

Hello BT Community.

I have a problem, and having spent 3 hours trying to resolve, including 2 hours of reading BT Community posts, I am no closer finding a solution - assuming there is one. 🤔

So, before the more experienced responders tell me "the answer is out there" I've looked, I've read, I've tried, and here I am.... Problem still unresolved. So I'm looking for help and guidance. 👨‍🔧

HH6 and both Windows 10 Pro and sometimes IOS 13 devices.

The HH6 has a USB port which DimWits like me think I should be able to plug in a USB stick/thumb drive, use the HH UI and gain access (one way or another) to the drive contents. No chance. Firmware version: SG4B1000E01E

I know about SMB options (switched on). Made no difference.

Tried drive mapping (can't find - "Got right name?")

HH6 doesn't report file type of stick (exFAT) just tells me it is there, which is suspicious.

Seems to be variations over time, in what can be done. Meaning 'solutions' declared in 2016, but more recently, not so much.

So ..... Am I wasting my time trying? 😒

What I want to do is attach a USB storage device to a WiFi broadcast device that can be read by other devices (small and periodic NAS). The HH6 hub I use seemed to be the obvious choice?  

I also have a redundant BTHub4 ??

If the HH6 can be used, and User Destructions are available somewhere - I can't find them, a link would be very welcome, thank you. But a link to an obsolete post in 2016, likely won't work. Why? Because commands like "net view" are no longer supported - as with SMD which is now switched off automatically - sometimes.

Should I just buy a Hoo Too Titan?

Useful/workable solutions, very much appreciated. 😎

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: HH6 USB stick/USB SSD drive connection- Yes or No?

Did you map the drive to the correct IP address? If you are using the HH6 as a WAP it won't be 192.168.1.254, or if it is you need to change it.

You need to map the drive to 192.168.1.XXX\usb1

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Hi.

Yes, tried

\\192.168.1.254\usb1

192.168.1.254\usb1

\\192.168.1.254\2Gbstick (actual name)

There doesn't seem to be an IP address for the USB stick in the UI Summary. As others have said, it just shows there is something connected, and gives the name. As I mentioned, no details on file types, files size(s) or IP information. It's like it's locked, which several/many have mentioned is the BT default unless (it seems) you have an un-updated firmware version that hasn't had the locking function installed.

I guess I have to make 5 posts or more to attach images?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

But as I said, the HH6 won't be 192.168.1.254 that is the address of the main hub not the one you are using as a WAP unless I'm misunderstanding your configuration.

No, you can post screenshots straight away as far as I'm aware.

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

No, I misunderstood yours.

You are thinking the IP address of the USB stick (or USB device) is something like 192.168.1.079 ??

As before, no IP given or available.

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 39

USB connections.jpgUSB details.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 39

No, I was thinking that you have a spare HH6 connected to your main hub and are using it as a wireless access point and additionally want to connect a usb stick to its usb port. Is that not the case and you are connecting the usb stick to your main hub?

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 39

I had thought the router full IP address was used as the gateway to the USB device, hence the \usb1 switch.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 39

Indeed, but which router is it connected to?

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 39

No, I was thinking that you have a spare HH6 connected to your main hub and are using it as a wireless access point and additionally want to connect a usb stick to its usb port. Is that not the case and you are connecting the usb stick to your main hub?

I'm trying to use the USB port on the back of the Hub6. No spare 6.

I do have a Hub4, which I mention because people seem to have been able to connect to that (I think). I've read so many posts, I can't remember exactly.

0 Ratings