cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 39

Re: HH6 USB stick/USB SSD drive connection- Yes or No?

Changed back to Private. 

Still no connection. 

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 39

As I mentioned before, I have a BT Hub 4 here, which was replaced when I renewed my BT contract last year.

Frustrated with the HH6 and pricing up a replacement looked like something anywhere between £70-£100, I decided to try the Hub-4.

First attempt, I picked up an exFAT data stick ... Which the UI told me had an unrecognised file system. (Only been around since 2006.)

I then tried a FAT version of the stick. It popped up in File Explorer immediately.  It insisted on being connected as USB2 which was fine by me.

I then tried an NTFS stick. Wanted to be known as USB3, but instant access with no further work from me.

How long did this take?

After switching on the BT Hub, I had to wait for the power up to complete. I then plugged in a USB stick (aka thumb drive) and it appeared almost immediately, with instant access with no (further) mapping required. Cycle time was about 5 minutes, including the complete power up sequence.

It was EASY, just as it should be.

So the conclusion is .... BTHub6, doesn't support USB media storage.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 39

Hmm, that would appear to be the case. As a last try, you could factory reset the hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash. Unlikely it will fix the problem, but worth a try.

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 39

I have given  up.

I've not touched ANY of the features or options in the HH6, and the hub has been turned off and on many times during the past 24 hours, USB sticks inserted/withdrawn - and that has been a challenge enough really.

It took me some time to restore all the security settings on my computer, and I'm now more concerned about that than I am about the hub.

On the upside, it looks like the HH6 = SM1. Makes good reading, even if the USB port doesn't function.

The way the USB port on Hub 4 works, is a night and day difference. Sadly, I can't get that to connect to my Infinity supply (ahhhh penny drops ) which makes it redundant anyway.  

The TP-Link - Archer VR900 AC1900 Wireless Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router looks promising, even if the price (£100) isn't. Unless I can talk an SM2 out of BT..... 😄

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 39

You could buy an Openreach VDSL modem on eBay for about £25 and use that along with your Homehub 4. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 39

Did you actually try a factory reset rather than just power cycling the hub?

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 39

No factory reset done. As I said, I've not changed anything, and given how much effort I put in yesterday, I'm past caring. There is a time to realise, the 'project' is doomed to failure. (Diminishing returns.)

Using the Hub 4 and same USB stick as yesterday that I got connected on a Win 10 installation, I managed to get the same result (eventually) on a Win 10 tablet. I then tried to do the same on an IOS device. Not found using the Files application. Why? Google reveals IOS wants SMB 2.0 though prefers SMB 3.0 and BT (typically) uses SMB 1.0 in the hub . Which from from what I've read, is basically 'junk'. More security holes than a colander...

Mr B.T. is here tomorrow, sometime between 1 and 6, and if he's here closer to 6 I might have stuck a pin in the hole, as much out of boredom as anything else.

The TP-Link unit, while being something of a luxury, solves a problem with the time it takes me to fill the payment details on a tech web site.

What I actually need is ..... A way to remotely access a WiFi device (that isn't necessarily on full-time), that has an SSD drive attached, with encrypted files that can be a accessed by Windows and IOS. Not much to ask? 😁

With a NAS expected to cost at least £200 and more likely £300, a WiFi modem/hub/router with USB 3.0 support for file sharing, seems like a good deal.  The hub is significantly smaller, and less costly to run/maintain.

I have looked at portable solutions like Ravpower and Hoo Too, (£60/£40 respectively) but the interface doesn't lend itself to my needs.

I am grateful for the advice given, which I have followed, but I'm now looking at Plan B - a higher spec hub. Or another solution I don't know about that someone here could propose? 😊

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 39

P.S.

In case it helps anyone else .... I found that Win 10 (or SMB 1) didn't like USB devices that had special characters in their name, as defined by the BT Hub during the mapping process. Not 100% sure I have it right, but when I renamed the respective device using the BT Hub Manager with a single group of alpha characters, finding the device was achieved with greater success. I used "USBdrive" (stick) "USBdriveBIG" (1Tb HDD) and "usbSSD" (SSD drive), all on BT Hub 4.  

0 Ratings
Dimwit_ver_2_0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 39

P.P.S.

It would appear a drive previously connected by the Hub 4 with an NTFS file system, will no longer be allowed to connect if the drive has been encrypted using Win 10 Bitlocker. "File system not supported" (or something like it ) and consequently, the drive can't be found during the mapping sequence. 😢

I despair .... 😭 🤧

0 Ratings