Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loft
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Home hub

Hi Folks

I have a HomeHub 2 (Yes old!) and when I wanted to change the hub's password it was not a secure site... presumably unsupported because of its age.  So I guess it's time to upgrade unless someone knows a way around this insecurity.  It was commented on to me some years ago, by a BT engineer that the HH 3,4 and 5 were not so good and that HH2 was much better!  So I'm wondering what HH I should go for? Have no idea what the smart ones are about and I don't want anything too bells and whistles... just simple and what works... most of the time(!)

Thanks for any input

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home hub

@Loft 

If you have the original home hub 2, then you may have an issue with wireless security.

As I assume you are on ADSL, really the only sensible option is a home hub 4 if its available, as the later hubs can have stability issues, especially if you are on a slow ADSL connection. You can ask BT for a replacement, if you are still in a contract.

Alternatively you can get a third party router locally for about £35.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

This is the one I use on ADSL, and its very stable.

0 Ratings
Loft
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for responding so quickly, Keith.  I'm connected via an ethernet cable.  The website/portal that comes up for my HH manager says insecure site when all other BT pages are fine. Does this help?  I'm actually reluctant to change the router just to change the hub password and only need to do the latter because I went to the manager and changed it before realising it wasn't secure.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Even the latest hub still uses Http rather than HTTPS for the hub manager page and is thus 'insecure'. However, as the page is only accessible on your private LAN, it is totally irrelevant.

Loft
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Oh , I see!   For a non techy person, it wasn't immediately obvious that what was in front of me was not a Googled page!!!  Thanks so much for that, Liquorice.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@licquorice  is right, as its not a wireless security issue if you are connected by Ethernet. Nothing to worry about, as the old HH2 is usually quite good in every other respect, especially on ADSL.

0 Ratings
Loft
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks.  My wifi is also turned on  (for my tablet when I use it).

0 Ratings