cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hunter11
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Homehub 5 to smart hub

Hi there I currently have a home hub 5 which I believe is on its way out I want to upgrade not to a by smart hub 2 if a buy one out right will it work I have fibre broadband 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Homehub 5 to smart hub

If you have BT Broadband the Smarthub 2 will work. If you have FTTP, Fibre to the premises, make sure the one you buy has the red WAN port.

What makes you think getting a Smarthub 2 is an upgrade. Newer is not always better. If your Homehub 5 is working as it should you should stick with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you are prepared to spend good money on a Smarthub 2 you would be better to spend your money on a decent third party VDSLModem/router.

Hunter11
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

It's fttc I have not fttp 

My WiFi keeps disconnecting and the hub turns off n on 

I was hoping the WiFi signal in the  smart hub 2 would be stronger 

Thanks for replying 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I find the wifi on the SH2 gives me a bit better coverage than previous hub but you cannot split the networks on SH2 like you can on hh5 and for some people this cause problems for some wifi devices

you can always try phoning CS on 150 and see if you can get a free replacement if in contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

The wifi signal strength of routers is regulated by law so it won't necessarily be any stronger.

Have you tried a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. That can often sort out problems.

Once the hub restarts make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

You should also turn off Smart Wireless and set the channel manually. You could try channel 13. It is not used by routers in the UK so it will usually have nothing else using that channel and as such will avoid interference.

See link how to do that.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub

0 Ratings
Hunter11
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I have tried factory reset and I'm not in contract anymore the only things which will be on  WiFi will be phone and laptop 

Everything else  will be ethernet connected 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

I feel you are no longer in contract then you must be on rolling monthly contract but on standard rates which means all your initial discounts have terminated. By renewing your contract you could negotiate a cheaper deal and try and include a new hub in the deal. Try 0800800030. If you don't like the offer don't take it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Hunter11
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Does it matter which smart hub 2 I get I'm fttc so would any sh2 suffice
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Don't waste money buying a BT hub, buy a decent third party router that you can also use if you decide to change ISP

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

@Hunter11wrote:

It's fttc 

My WiFi keeps disconnecting and the hub turns off n on 

I was hoping the WiFi signal in the  smart hub 2 would be stronger 

It seems to me focusing on why the existing Hub turns off and on. Once you have ascertained and corrected the cause, you may well find your existing wifi is tip top!

Just saying!

0 Ratings