cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flatearther
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

How many mini home hotspots can be connected to one router?

Hello forum

My first post. I hve a BT Hub 5 and two mini home hotspots 500 connected to the Hub via an extender. But it's a big house and some rooms still only get a weak signal. So I thought I could get some additional mini hotspots 500 for some of the other rooms. But this doesn't seem to work. When I connect one of the additional hotspots to the Hub, those that are already connected stop working. They still appear in the list of wifi networks but there is no internet. I have reconnected all hotspots to the Hub several times, but the same problem keeps happening: when I connect more than two hotspots, they stop working.

Is there a limit to the number of hotspots you can connect to one Hub, or should I have bought something else instead? Do the different hotspots neutralise each other in some ingenious way?

Bernhard

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: How many mini home hotspots can be connected to one router?

You only connect the master to the hub and then fit the additional hotspots where required. Don't connect more than one master to the hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

You can only plug one broadband extender into the home hub, that becomes the master.

The Mini Wifi Home hotspot units then pair with that one unit, as shown here.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-multi-kit-079030-9N15.html

If you plug more than one broadband extender into the home hub, it will cause the Ethernet ports to lock out as they see a bridge condition.

0 Ratings
Flatearther
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for reponses so far, liquorice and Keith_Beddoe. I'm not an expert, so may not have expressed the problem correctly. I'll try again:

I have one Hub (Hub 5). Connected to that Hub is one Extender (Broadband Extender Flex). Around the house I have:

- a second Brodaband Extender Flex (required for BT TV)

- two mini home hotspots 500.

With these ingredients, the system works. Now I want to connect two additional mini home hotspots 500, because the wifi signal is weak in parts of the house. So that altogether I would have four mini home hotspots 500. But that doesn't seem to work. Whenever I connect these two additional home hotspots (after ensuring they are recognised by the main Extender connected to the Hub), the first two home hotspots stop working.

Anything I am obviously getting wrong? Many thanks.

Bernhard

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

So there is only one connection to the home hub 5 Ethernet, and everything else is paired to that single extender which is configured as master?

Its when you said you had a second broadband extender flex, that I thought you may have two physical connections to the home hub Ethernet port.

There may be a limitation in the number of IP addresses that can be assigned to the extender network.

You coud try a factory reset of the home hub 5, which would clear out the DHCP table, and may allow all devices to work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Do the extra hotspots work if the second extender is removed? Not sure why you need a second extender, the mini hotspots have 2 Ethernet ports as well as wireless capability.

0 Ratings
Flatearther
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

>>So there is only one connection to the home hub 5 Ethernet, and everything else is paired to that single extender which is configured as master?

>>Its when you said you had a second broadband extender flex, that I thought you may have two physical connections to the home hub Ethernet port.

Just checked. The Home Hub has two physical connections:

1) the Broadban Extender Flex (which if I understand you correctly is therefore the "master"), and

2) my laptop, from which I'm writing this message. I use a physical ethernet connection rather than wifi for the laptop simply because the speed is better.

Should I disconnect the laptop and try again with the hotspots?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Flatearther wrote:

Should I disconnect the laptop and try again with the hotspots?

No, that's fine. Its just 2 extenders you shouldn't have connected to the hub.

0 Ratings
Flatearther
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

>>Do the extra hotspots work if the second extender is removed?

Don't know, haven't tried it.

>>Not sure why you need a second extender, the mini hotspots have 2 Ethernet ports as well as wireless capability.

The second extender came with instructions from BT as part of the same package. It's used for BT TV. The Hub is in the loft, the TV on the ground floor. I added the hotspots later.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Try disconnecting the second extender and using one of the hotspots for BTTV

0 Ratings