Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 15

Re: Hub / Router hardware update

@Harpo_72 wrote:

Yes it’s a black box which I thought was the TV stuff

So its plugged into the phone socket on the wall, is mains powered with lights on it, and has a cable from LAN1 to the red WAN connection on the home hub 4, is that correct?

I was not aware that there were black Openreach modems as well as white ones.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Then it is the tv box and no we don’t have the white box

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

@Harpo_72 wrote:

Then it is the tv box and no we don’t have the white box

Then its not a home hub 4 you have, it must be a home hub 5, they are very similar.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub

It should say on the back.

There are some later home hubs. The smart hub and smart hub 2.

The smart hub may work better for you. You can request one from BT for the cost of the postage. These are only loaned by BT, and would have to be returned if you ever change provider.

The smart hub 2 is really only needed if you want to add on the black BT Complete Wifi discs.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Would it have better signal strength? Or should I be looking at the complete package?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

@Harpo_72 wrote:

Would it have better signal strength? Or should I be looking at the complete package?

If its wireless coverage that is the issue, then all wireless routers transmit the same power, so you are unlikely to see any difference.

If its a wireless coverage problem in just one part of the house, then the cheapest option would be the BT Hotspot 600 device, which generates a new wireless network at a chosen location.

As for the BT Complete Wifi package, there are mixed views on that, and you would have to read some of the posts on this forum.

The alternative would be to use a wireless mesh system, you can get one for about £73 for three wireless nodes, which would cover the whole of a normal house with wifi.

0 Ratings