cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EJT1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Hub admin password

I’ve had my BT hub for a few years now and have not had any issues. Someone told me that I should have changed the admin password the one that is on the card in the back of the hub.  However I have read on the web that there is no need to change this and I just wanted to check. As I said I’ve not had any issues.  I could understand updating the Wi-fi password but is there a need to update the hub admin pw. Thanks EJT 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Hub admin password

hub admin password is strong and only problem could be if someone in your home wanted hub access then password is easily available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

It's just an option to help prevent unauthorised access. Not particularly secure though as it's easy to get round.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Pedigree500
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

@pottypersonwrote:

Not particularly secure though as it's easy to get round.

You ought to expand on this. What are the reported vulnerabilities (assuming an attacker does not have physical access to the unit)?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9

There is a security flaw in WPS (Google wps security flaw).

If you are at all concerned then you should turn off WPS and then change both the wireless and the admin passwords

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The vulnerability is with physical access as a factory reset will restore the password to default. You are worrying totally unnecessarily.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

The vulnerability is with physical access as a factory reset will restore the password to default. You are worrying totally unnecessarily.

The problem with WPS is that the password/pin number can be discovered through a brute force attack. It's been general knowledge for years now and yet no one has done anything about it. I understand that the chances of it actually happening are such that you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery which may explains why it's not been addressed but the flaw is there.

Edit: See https://www.zyxel.com/support/announcement_wps_brute_force_attack.shtml for more info

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

The OP is talking about the hub admin password not WiFi.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

The OP is talking about the hub admin password not WiFi.

I know, but if WPS is enabled and cracked then a hacker can join the network and then may be able to discover the admin password by yet another brute force attack and he doesn't have to be sat there nearly all day doing it, he just sets it going and comes back later

0 Ratings