cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 45

Re: Hybrid Connect - attaching additional antennas

Go to solution

@87lions31 thanks for the update. I’m getting a new set of antennas (like yours) today and will report back on the signal strength. I’m hoping there will be some improvement, at the moment it’s around -107dBi. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 45

Go to solution
Hi,
How do u measure the signal strength? any app thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 45

Go to solution

Hi Trevstar,

I use the 'My BT' app on my iPhone.

Once logged in, you'll have to dig down through a lot of different menus.  The buttons you need aren't always in the same place on every screen, but either way, these are the exact steps that I follow to check my signal strength:

Your products > Broadband > Set up and manage devices > Hybrid Connect > Hybrid Connect details

...it will then show your device details (including signal strength).

Obviously I'm writing this in March 2021, so it's possible that BT could change the layout of the app in the future.  I also don't know whether its the same for Android phones.  I assume it wouldn't be too different though.

Message 14 of 45

Go to solution
Hi 87lions31,
Thanks for getting back.
As the additionals antennas helped you.
I am getting just one bar! and it just does not work when broadband is down.
BT is unable to say or sort out the issues with signal strength from EE.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 45

Go to solution

Hi Trevstar,

Yes, I found they did help me - I went from one bar of 4G signal to two bars (just).

I got (SMA Antenna 10dBi 4G LTE Antenna WiFi Antenna High Gain Signal Booster for 3G/4G Router Modem ZTE USB Donglefrom Amazon (they were only £9 and looked like they would match the style of the Hybrid Connect nicely).  There are also more expensive options on Amazon (which I assume would be even more sensitive and give even more of a signal boost if needed).  The cheap ones did the job for me though.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 45

Go to solution

HI all,

I've followed the advice on this thread and achieved an improvement in dBa with the external aerials.

I am now at -104dBa (we're in a fringe coverage area in the chilterns with patchy EE network) and now have two bars and a pretty healthy 30mb/s when needed.

The Hybrid Connect and its integration to the SH2 is pretty neat. Works really well, especially now working from home is so prevalent.

Thanks all.

BB

Message 17 of 45

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

Just noticed the hybrid connect showing 2 bars on its own for 2 days and now it has gone back to one bar!

Looks like BT Engineers are working on the issues?

BT needs to get this sorted or the hybrid connect will be a failure!

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 45

Go to solution

Hi Trevstar,

I noticed similar dips in my signal.   When I first got the Hybrid Connect (before I bought the antennas) it was at two bars for a day or so, but then dropped down to one bar.  When I bought and installed my antennas, it jumped to a strong two bar signal and then a day later dropped down to a weaker (but thankfully still two bar) signal.

My current theory is that the Hybrid Connect takes a couple of days to calculate the average, consistent 4G signal level that you get wherever you've placed it.

Rather than being like our mobile phones (which shows you how strong the signal is second by second), I think it shows you the average so you know whether the place you've put the Hybrid Connect is actually suitable for the long term.  That's my best guess anyway.

Did you order any antennas in the end?

Let me know if it helps, I hope it does mate!

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 45

Go to solution
Hi,
I have gone back to one bar! have to get the antennas sorted soon.
I Will let you know once I try them out. BT is unable to say anything! very strange.....will keep u posted. Thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 45

Go to solution
Bingfu 4G LTE Antenna SMA Aerial 7dBi Magnetic Base MIMO Antenna (2-Pack) Netgear TP-Link 4G LTE Cellular Router Gateway Modem Hotspot Wireless Mobile Router Hub

After trying the £8.99 antennae which made very little difference I ordered the above from Amazon. They have a 2mtr lead so I was able to place them outside. After moving them about quite a bit I found the optimum signal which reduced the signal from -109dBm to -89dBm. Excellent Antennae.