cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickTaplin
Beginner
Message 11 of 47

Re: I can't use the Whole Home App

Hi @Dan-O, I tried this.  The message still came up and it was 'There was no response from your network.  Please try again in a few minutes'.

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
Howellsw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 47

Mine is exactly the same.  Given there are a number of us on for whom this is causing problems, it is likely to be a software/firmware issue with the Whole Home discs.  I am going to call the help desk now - if I get a solution, I’ll post it here

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 13 of 47

@Howellsw wrote:

Mine is exactly the same.  Given there are a number of us on for whom this is causing problems, it is likely to be a software/firmware issue with the Whole Home discs.  I am going to call the help desk now - if I get a solution, I’ll post it here

Thanks - your feedback is useful to help understand these issues.

If you are stuck on naming the first disc - can you try the following?

1. Ensure the disc has been factory reset
  2. Go to http://mybtdevice.home or the device IP address
  3. Log in using the admin password.
  4. Go to “Settings”, then change any of the settings on this page (e.g. change the Wi-Fi SSID or password).
  5. Now connect a smartphone with the app on to the new details.
  6. Ensure the app is fully closed (not minimised) then launch the app and this should now show 1 disc installed.
  7. Go to Add Another Disc under settings to add the remaining discs
0 Ratings
Howellsw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 47

Hi Dan

The problem is that hour solution will work, the problem disappears nd lol works fine then tomorrow, or perhaps the day after, the issue returns and the App says the network is not responding.  equally, logging in using the web interface a;ways works.  You can log in but only have access to very limited information.  No discs are visible, albeit, last time I tried to do this, I was able to send a reset command which executed okay.  

So, in summary, your solution provides temporary relief to a frustrating problem but only delays rather then fixes the issue.  If you want chat/pm I am at home all day and happy to run some diagnostics, send log files etc. 

0 Ratings
NickTaplin
Beginner
Message 15 of 47

@Dan-O I have done this several times, from factory reset of a single disc, to a reset of all three, from closing the app (and deleting the cache etc) to deleting and reinstalling it completely, across multiple devices.  I've changed the name of the disc(s) through the mtbtdevice.home link, and I have also changed other settings (for example I changed the SSID and password to be the same as my original WiFI network). 

In every case I get as far as naming the first disc before the failure occurs.  For what it's worth, when I check via mybtdevice.home, the name seems to update so it is at some point after that change is applied that the communication breaks down.

It has also recently occurred to me that the very first time I set up the system (when it worked), I was asked (before naming the first disc) to confirm the admin password of my disc - something which it has never asked me to do again, even after a reinstall of the app, cache deletion, factory reset etc.  The factory reset also doesn't reset the firmware update (I don't know if it should). I should have given you that information before, apologies.  Does it thro any more light on the matter?

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 16 of 47

Im having same issues as above.  I called BT last night and they fobbed me off and said they know the app is poor and hangs but an update will appear end of Jan and il just have to wait till then.  Id been on hold for 45 mins and the phone call with the tecnician lasted less than a minute.  A soon as I mentioned I had a Wholehome she said yes we have had lots of calls on these ul have to wait till the end of the month for the new app!

Ive gone back to my old talktalk router for the time being.  Im gutted that a product that costs so much is so utterly **bleep**.  Did they not fully test this before releasing it?  Google, Netgear and Ubquiti have similar products that according to the forums and online work just fine.  

To me this is just a cheap wifi repeater that has BT's badge stuck on and an inflated price tag.

The app is terrible and the discs randomly kick various devices offline while they try to gain a new IP address.

Ive tried changing the security to WPA, renaming the ssid, changing the password, enabling capatability mode and changing the channels. Also the app doesnt work on my LG G6, my wifes Moto G5 or my Ipad air 2 so something is seriously amiss.  Ive tried resetting the devices and my talktalk router.

To sum up this product is very poor and needs urgent attention or BT need to refund everyone that has had an issue with it.  

0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 17 of 47

As a quick test im going to buy another set today from Argos to see if I get the same issues.

0 Ratings
Howellsw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 47

Not quite my experience Dbaplaya.  

The App might well be poor (I dont know if that is true as I am not certain it is the App that is at fault) but as far as the Discs themselves go, the WiFi in my home has been rock solid since I installed the discs - it is the interface to the network that is poor/not working.  

I also installed a pair of discs for my sister; and another pair for my brother - those sets are working perfectly and currently, the interface to their discs is also working.  So, I would say don't despair, the underlying mesh disc technology is excellent from what I have seen and compared to a number of other Access Points (including from Apple and Cisco) provides faster, superior coverage coverage than many other products.  

Lets hope the next App refresh does indeed fox the issue! 

0 Ratings
NickTaplin
Beginner
Message 19 of 47

Yes, I have to say that in terms of the wifi performance I am (so far) very happy - I looked at buying an alternative but I needed at least 3 hubs for my house so this worked out to be about half the price of the nearest competitor.  I don't have an issue wifi-wise at the moment at all, but the app issue is a bit frustrating.  Even if it just had an option when you opened the app to say "do you want to set up whole home or do you already have it connected?" that might solve the problem.

@Dan-O, does it seem that an App update is the best option at this stage?

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 20 of 47

@NickTaplin wrote:

Yes, I have to say that in terms of the wifi performance I am (so far) very happy - I looked at buying an alternative but I needed at least 3 hubs for my house so this worked out to be about half the price of the nearest competitor.  I don't have an issue wifi-wise at the moment at all, but the app issue is a bit frustrating.  Even if it just had an option when you opened the app to say "do you want to set up whole home or do you already have it connected?" that might solve the problem.

@Dan-O, does it seem that an App update is the best option at this stage?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info that the name does actually save but the app stays on this page.

Can you confirm what happens if you launch the app with Wi-Fi turned off (you should get the you're not connected screen) then turn it on while still on this page and wait for it to refresh?

0 Ratings