cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

I need to use a DDNS

Hi guys,
I just purchased a radio receiver called a Kiwi SDR. SDR stands for software-defined radio. I've managed to allow public access by opening ports that the receiver uses. However, in order for me to create a link on a website I've been told I need to use a DDNS. I'm going to purchase one rather than use a free one. Can someone tell me if it's possible with my BT hub? I'm using the very latest BT Smart Hub.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: I need to use a DDNS

@Ironside 

All the BT Hubs support DDNS, usually No-IP, and a few others.

You should find it within the home hub menu.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Wow! What a fast response, thanks, Keith.
Please forgive me, I am really shooting in the dark when it comes to all this stuff. What company would you recommend I used to get a DDNS that will work well with my BT Smart Hub? I really don't want to pay a lot of money if possible.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Ironside 

The SH2 doesn't offer a list of DDNS providers like the old hubs did, so not sure how it works.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Okay, I found dynamic DNS in the settings and at the moment it switched off. It says I will first need to register with the service provider. The service provider will send me the information that I need to set up my BT Smart Hub. Sounds reasonably straightforward

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@Ironside wrote:
Wow! What a fast response, thanks, Keith.
Please forgive me, I am really shooting in the dark when it comes to all this stuff. What company would you recommend I used to get a DDNS that will work well with my BT Smart Hub? I really don't want to pay a lot of money if possible.

There are quite a few to choose from, but you need to make sure that its one of the options that are built into the firmware of the smart hub 2.

I use No-IP, but not on a home hub as I use my own router. They have a free hostname which you can use to try it, but you have to refresh the account every 30 days, but its long enough to see if it works before you pay.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Yes, ignore my last post it isn't in the port forwarding section where it used to be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Ironside 

The SH2 doesn't offer a list of DDNS providers like the old hubs did, so not sure how it works.

I did not know that.

There would have to be an API somewhere, to send the update to the provider. Some will accept a http POST string, so maybe that is how it works?

See https://www.noip.com/integrate/request

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Posts crossed, see above.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

Yes, ignore my last post it isn't in the port forwarding section where it used to be.

Fine, I did think it a bit odd.

0 Ratings