Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donmaico
Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Improving WiFi connection

Go to solution

Hello I am using a BT Home hub 5 router but am finding the WiFi connection  into an adjoining room pretty poor despite using Bt HomePlug extenders,My Apple desktop(iMac) works fine being as it sitting right next to the router but as soon as I move it to other room it starts playing up ie very slow,  buffering, same with my iPad and any other WiFi connected devices I have there (Smart TV, Now Tv).Anything connected directly to the HomePlug is fine. There are brick walls between the rooms but I leave two connecting  doors open at all times(via a hallway)

Anyway, I  read somewhere that using 5 Ghz network connection would be better than 2.4 Ghz so I tried that and that has given me some improvement but not enough as the smart TV simply won't connect and the iPad still buffers although not as greatly.I was wondering therefore whether a router upgrade would help such as the BT smart hub or just connect another router in the adjoining room into the electric mains using another HomePlug .The question, though, is which router and how do I configure the two so they work in tandem?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.Many thanks

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Improving WiFi connection

Go to solution

If you want to upgrade I suggest the (notso)Smart Hub is the last thing you want. Go for a decent 3rd party VDSL router as a replacement. TP-Link sems a popular make with others here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

If you intend using homeplugs, you don't need another router just a wifi hotspot such as these https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html or these if you only want one hotspot https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
donmaico
Contributor
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution
I already am using those as I stated in my OP but they make little difference
0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

ok thanks I may well  try that but I guess its then a question of pairing the two routers 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

You may find the TP-Link has better coverage as routers with external antenna always perform better than those with internal ones.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

I'm struggling with this.

If you are currently using a homeplug wifi hotspot that is too far from where you need the signal why not just move it to another socket that is closer. If you do want another device, rather than a second router (which is not needed), a wireless access point is all that is needed and are much cheaper. You will still need to join the 2 devices by either Ethernet cable or homeplugs in any case.

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

Perhaps I have not explained things too well .The homeplug is situated in a room which is adjacent to the one with my existing router.It is plugged into some sockets together with a number of AV devices behind a purpose made cabinet with a smart TV on it .Two of those devices (Freesat and free view boxes) are connected to it via ethernet. It is also an extender so a couple of my other devices ( Now tv and Apple tv ) are WiFi connected to it.They both work well off it. Unfortunately the same cannot be said   either for my smart TV or iPad .Based on recommendations I changed the network from 2.4Ghz to 5 Ghz.That markedly improved the performance of my iMac desktop which so happens to be sitting right next to the router.The iPads's performance also improved but still tends to buffer, especially with video clips.I even tried the homeplug on another socket and used the iPad near it but that was notentirely satisfactory either. Obviously the iPad also works much better near the router 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

Are you using the same SSID onthe homeplugs as the router? If so, I wonder if the devices are connecting to the router rather than the homeplug wifi. Try changing the SSID if they are the same.

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

i honestly dont know what you mean by SSID. I just followed the instructions that came with the homeplugs ie by pressing the corresponding buttons

0 Ratings