Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 31

Re: Improving WiFi connection

Go to solution

Is the name of the wireless network the same on the homeplugs and hub?

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

do you mean the name of the wireless network  on the back of the hub ie BThub5 etc? I am not aware the same name is present on the homeplugs As i said all i did was plug them then pair them to each other by pressing the corresponding button. Sorry if I seem a bit dense but as i said I just followed instructions provided with the plugs

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

reading these instructions i dont see anything relating to network names http://bt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4169303/1423651534/redirect/1/filename/2633%20BT%20Extender%20...

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

I now see what is meant by SSID.Although the BT Home Hub Manager allows me to change the SSID as well as password for both 2.4 and 5Ghz configurations, I cant find anything online that relates  to HomePlug SSID. All I did when I used the HH Manager was change "

All I did when I used the HH Manager was change "Sync with 2.4 GHz:" from yes to no in the 5Ghz wireless configuration,but  have now restored to its original setting because 2.4 is supposed to work better over longer distances

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution

OK, I now see where the confusion has arisen. The homeplugs that I linked to are wireless hot spots as well as Ethernet connections. When you said you already had these I assumed you meant that your homeplugs were also wifi. The extenders you linked to are not wifi, just Ethernet. You either need to change the homeplugs for the devices I linked to or buy a standalone wireless access point to plug into your existing homeplugs.

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

it is a mini Wi-Fi wireless home hotspot, says so on the front with power button wps/link and light at the top.The one connected directly to the router is called an extender but i am wondering if i should change that to one with a socket in it because at the moment it is sharing an adaptor with a plug which ,in turn, is connected to a power strip where the Computer and peripherals run from.Not ideal .another thing someone suggested to me that i should pair the two  in the same room before relocating the Home Hotspot

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

In which case the instructions you linked to are not the right ones for your devices. It also really does need to be plugged directly into a socket. Once you identify the correct instructions, I suggest you change the SSID on the hotspot to something different to the hub so that you can tell which signal your devices are connecting to.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

On your HomeHub use separate wireless names for 2.4GHz and 5GHz - you can then switch devices between them to determine which one is best in which room.

On your wireless extenders they normally add something like "_Ext" to the main wireless name so you can connect to them rather than the main router.  If not see if you can change the wireless name (SSID).

Always plug these extenders into a wall socket - an extension cable will seriously decrease the performance.

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

right I took the Home hotspot and plugged into the same room as the extender .All 3 lights were solid green which means its working as it should.I then plugged the homespot back in the original room but in a different socket.After a while, all three lights came on green .  I then switched my smart tv on and that seems to be working but only the wireless light is on.

Finally, I switched the TV off and the iPad on- power light flashing on and off slowly, green colour the other two lights are solid green.iPad is working.

I can't help but think that  sharing extender should be plugged straight into a mains socket

0 Ratings
donmaico
Contributor
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

this is where i thionk I am being a bit dense How do I find out what the SSID of the homespot is ?

0 Ratings