cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmpreston
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Interference from disc extender to VHF radio

A problem that I suspect may be connected to other users problems with BT TV. Recently upgraded broadband and a disc range extender was provided. The disc does the job it is supposed to do fine, but at the cost of severe interference with our VHF radion signal. As we rely on VHF radio for a radio clock alarm (we cannot receive a DAB signal), I've had to resort to switching the disc off at bedtime in order to hear the radio next morning. Has anyone met the problem and any suggestions for resolution?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Interference from disc extender to VHF radio

Welcome to this user forum.

I assume you have the new smart hub 2, and the extra black disc?

Is it possible to move the disc away from the radio?

I am not sure what EMC standard these discs conform to, so you might be better asking on the main thread, which is monitored by the device team.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/td-p/1901302

P.S. for clarity and bedtime reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

0 Ratings
johnmpreston
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Confirm new smart hub 2 and the extra black disc. Am about to try moving the disc to another room.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 4

@johnmpreston wrote:
Confirm new smart hub 2 and the extra black disc. Am about to try moving the disc to another room.

@Keith_Beddoe@johnmpreston,

There’s a declaration of conformity  to EU standards on the “getting started “ leaflet and also a reference to BT documentation on bt.com.

A mention is made of a distance of 20cm for compliance. I.e. don’t put anything nearer than 20cm to the disc., but  clearly a much wider distance than that is advisable.

Usually a distance of 5 feet from other equipment is a good distance with the old HH6, although I admit mine is nearer than that.

Also the disc power supply might just radiate some interference.

Would be interested to hear comments from a BT expert.

0 Ratings