cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Internet cuts out briefly anytime I download a file bigger than a few MB

As the title says, anytime I try download a file larger than around 50mb my internet cuts out briefly and the downloads fail.  Has been going on pretty much constantly since march when I joined and it hasn't stabilized.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this or how to solve it?

I'm on the Full Fibre 900 FTTP (also only get around 200-300mb/s but i'm more concerned about not being able to download anything.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: Internet cuts out briefly anytime I download a file bigger than a few MB

I should probably add this happens both on wired and wireless connections excluding a faulty cable or wireless connection, and is the case on multiple computers and devices.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

The fact that you can run a speed test to confirm your speed, proves that it's not a download issue.

There were reports of problems when trying to upload files on FTTP. where the connection would drop, and this was fixed by a firmware change on the home hub.

Is it possible that you are also uploading at the same time?

It may be worth giving the FTTP team a call, and see if they can help.  0800 587 4787

Which BT home hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Sorry I should have been more clear, it's on sustained downloads it cuts out, the short downloads/uploads run by speed testing sites runs fine but when set to larger file sizes the same happens with those tests.

I'll give the fttp team a call today and see if they can shed any further light on the problem.

I'm using the smart hub 2, it gets pretty hot when it's running so it could just be a faulty modem, I was going to purchase a third party router to test with that but a phone call first seems like a better choice

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

I believe the issue was to do with flow control between the home hub and the modem, and it was the home hub causing the problem, so in your case, a third party router would be worth considering.

0 Ratings