cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stead
Beginner
Message 21 of 160

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

whats the advantage with this over a decent aftermarket router than can be hard for fraction of the cost?

or is this for people with mansions? seems somewhat overkill for home use to me? on the other hand I totally understand the idea for business use and this kind of system has been in use for many years I thought all beit at a far higher cost

0 Ratings
charlie_cc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 160

Anyone know if they support ethernet backhaul. Have seen they only have 1 port, so even if they do, that's a little disappointing. Hopefully Google will hurry up and launch their Mesh solution over here.

Also, anyone know if the first puck can be plugged into a HomeHub? Most of the Mesh solutions need to be plugged into a modem, and I don't believe you can run HomeHub 5 or 6 in modem only mode.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 160

The BT Whole Home WiFi does not support Ethernet back-haul. When @jonbigtelly tried to connect more than one AP via Ethernet, the network crashed. See from message 8 of Whole Home with more than 3 discs.

I don't see this as odd though, as that's not what mesh WiFi is about. The idea of a mesh is that only the root AP needs to be plugged in to a wired connection. If you can run wires to all of your AP then there are plenty of lower cost solutions out there.

To your second question, the root AP can be plugged into the Home Hub. Unlike other solutions e.g., the Linksys Velop, the BT Whole Home WiFi is an AP only solution and not a router.

Regards

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 160

I'm sorry but you are wrong. I am using the whole home wifi setup with Ethernet as backhaul.

The FAQs confirm it http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57945/c/8071/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NTIwMDg5MS9za...

And you can see my status page

WHWiFi.JPG

smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 160

No need to be sorry. I'm happy being corrected.

Are your discs all within WiFi range of each other as well? From the other post it seemed that traffic was being forwarded from e.g., disc 1 to disc 2 via WiFi and then from disc 2 back to disc 1 via the wired connection.

Regards
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 160

Yes they are within range and I can swap between WiFi backhaul or ethernet. I'm curious too as I haven't seen any issues despite swapping and resetting a couple of times. I've also used them with my SmartHub and an Asus RT-AC68U setups without any issues.

From the speeds I'm getting I'm quite confident that I'm actually using the ethernet backhaul.

To be honest, once the app on my iPhone was updated in the first few days, I've never had any issues with my setup which works flawlessly including handoff when roaming around the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 160

Hi @brummygit, smf22, I am glad u got your discs working with Ethernet backhaul. Mine most certainly did not work as soon as I plugged them in over Ethernet the discs turned red and the only way to get them working again was to disconnect the ethernet cable. ended up taking them to my place in Spain and using over wifi and going with Ubiquiti Unifi at home.
0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 160

Do you happen to know the firmware version - I'm on v1.01.11 build13. Maybe there is a difference there.

The only other thing I can think of is that I set mine up like it from first install as follows:

1. Plug in first disc and wait for a steady blue

2. Connect second disc by ethernet and power up, factory reset and then wait until steady blue

3. Same again for 3rd disc

I'm not sure if you are using a SmartHub but DHCP has been broken in some firmware versions - I wonder if they were getting a duplicate IP addresses or no IP addresses.

I think that on first power-up each disc will establish itself as the root AP of the mesh if it thinks there are no others, so I wonder what happens if each one comes online believing its the first?

0 Ratings
drmjfoster
Beginner
Message 29 of 160

Questions

1) How does the Whole Home Wi-fi connect to my Smart Home Hub via an ethernet cable?

2) If so do I have to disable the Hubs Wi-fi?

Dr Michael Foster

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 160

Yes, you connect to your Smart Hub via ethernet (cable supplied) and whilst not absolutely essential, it is best practice to disable the WiFi on your hub

0 Ratings