cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 160

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

The new update that I downloaded today has changed the way the discs connect. Instead of the other two discs having to be within reach of the router disc, they now appear to support daisy chaining eg the third disc connects to the second for a signal. Completely blew my mind. So much better and with the option to buy extra discs coming shortly too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 42 of 160

Single discs available from here now... https://m.shop.bt.com/products/bt-add-on-disc-for-whole-home-wi-fi-091073-CVVT.html

Btw, the whole home always supported daisy chaining, this version just has improvements to how it selects the best topology

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 43 of 160

@DarrenB Well i assure you, they weren't doing that previously. Until this update, the discs were all trying to connect to the router based disc. (I've seen a fair few complaining about this too) Following this update, I've been able to move one disc that was only getting a poor reception 20 feet further away to the other side of the room and it is showing as Excellent connection. I'd reset them a couple of times and was about to return them to Amazon but on a whim I decided to unpack them and give them one more go. Delighted I did as whatever was wrong before then has fixed itself. 

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 160

Hi,

MY WH Wifi system is stuck on v1.01.13 build09 - generally OK although stability is leaving something to be desired at the moment 😞

I understand the latest firmware build is v1.02.01 build22 ,that you refer to above. Is this correct?

I am a bit stuck though:

Checking for updates from the iOS app gives an error: "There was a problem completing the firmware upgrade" and from the web management interface of the router it reports that I am on the latest software build.

Following the link on the web management interface (bt.com/producthelp) for manual firmware download does not point to a firmware image.

How did anyone succeed to install the latest firmware build? I am using a non-BT supplied VDSL router - do any particular ports need to be opened on the firewall to allow the whole home WiFi software update traffic to be passed or anything weird like that?

Thanks for any assistance,

Richard.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 160

Hi,

Is this a new set of BT WHole Home Wifi units and where did you obtain them.

Have you tried factory resetting them.

Have a look in the log available from this link: http://mybtdevice.home/index.htm, clicking system and then system log.

Do you see an mention of firmware, like in my logs: 

03.06.2017 00:21:45 Firmware upgrade - FW SYNC compare WHWv1.02.01build22 WHWv1.02.01build22!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 46 of 160

Just a few thoughts - thinking about it logically, I cannot see how the BT Whole Home Wifi devices could ever include a guest network.

The devices rely on your existing router for DHCP and routing and dont seem to have this inherant ability.

I dont see how an aditional guest SSID could be broadcast by the BTWH devices and your router knowing whether the hosts are connecting through the main SSID or the guest SSID. Therefore the hosts would all be treated equally and negating the benefits of a guest network.

I think I've realised that one of the items on my wish list is not achievable if the BTWH wifi devices continue to operate as an access point rather then a router per se.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 160

Oakserver, correct, although guest networks generally implement "AP isolation" where devices are prevented from accessing other devices or resources on the LAN. Obviously it could only block traffic to devices connected to Whole Home Wi-Fi and not directly to the router..

Rlk - do you have static IP addresses set for your discs? You need to go back to automatic IP to update and then you can revert to static.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 48 of 160

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Ethernet port on one of the Whole Home disks to connect a non-wifi device to the network?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 160

Yes, you can connect Ethernet client devices (e.g. Smart TV, NAS) to the spare Ethernet ports on the discs

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 160

Can they be used as Access points instead of repeaters? I have network sockets in the house. Can they be plug into the network sockets which end up into the BT Home hub?

0 Ratings