cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 160

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Yes that's what they are designed for. They do not repeat your wifi signal from the hub (in fact it best to turn off wifi on your router), but instead they create an SSID of their own shared (and managed properly) across all three discs.

You must connect one disc by an Ethernet cable to the hub, and can choose whether the rest interconnect by wireless or wired - mine are all wired back to my router.
0 Ratings
Message 52 of 160

Regarding my question on firmware update above, I have now successfully updated them after receiving advise from BT tech support. For the record I found 2 defects on this journey:

1. Firmware update does not work if you have manually set the discs to a static IP address rather than obtaining via dhcp.

2. It is not possible to revert the manual IP configuration from the web UI. Instead a factory reset is required.

Both defects are, erm, interesting to say the least. Did anyone test the SW before it was released???
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 160

Please can anyone tell me if the 1st disc HAS to be connected by ethernet to the router/modem ( I have repleaced my HH6 with a TP Link Archer VR900) or does it just need access to it?

If so can I cannect it to one of the many switches I have on my network?

The current router is located in the worst place but that is where my only phone socket is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 160

@duffy5021 wrote:

Please can anyone tell me if the 1st disc HAS to be connected by ethernet to the router/modem ( I have repleaced my HH6 with a TP Link Archer VR900) or does it just need access to it?

If so can I cannect it to one of the many switches I have on my network?

The current router is located in the worst place but that is where my only phone socket is.

It doesn't need to be directly connected by Ethernet, just have an Ethernet connection back to the router. So you can connect it to your switch!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 160

That is such good news, using one in the kitchen where the router is would be such a waste, it now means I can actually  do what I wanted to.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 160

Ok, i bought it last night, all 3 setup on ethernet with switches.

My question is is this actually a mesh setup, or does only the master unit have to be plugged in for it to work as intended?

Devices do swap from one unit to another but it takes maybe 20-30 seconds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 160

Yes it's a true mesh system which will backbone it's traffic on wired Ethernet where possible otherwise it will use wifi. If you pull an Ethernet cable on on of the discs and check your logs you can see it switch over.

Ethernet is obviously better as it leaves more wifi bandwidth for the clients.

In most cases you need to disable the original wifi on your router as this is separate and not part of the mesh it creates.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 160

Spoiler

Yes I did disable the Routers wifi, and am looking forward to seamless full strengh wifi that does not drop out.

Likely?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 160

I have a variety of Apple, Android, PC and many other devices and mine never gives me any issues. In fact I pretty much forget it's there.

Therefore I would say yes, quite likely
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 60 of 160

Just installed this and everýthing working okay. I have some other devices connected to my Home Hub 6 so I presume I will need a switch in order to keep these connected as the disc has only one port. So cable from Hub into switch then cable out into disc and use other free ports as and when necessary?

0 Ratings