cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 91 of 160

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Tried compatibility mode which made no difference as I was still unable to connect via my android tablet but strangely all other devices connected fine still. I switched off the 2 other discs and only left the disc that is connected to my router via Ethernet on, still unable to connect my tablet even after switching it off and on which enabled the usual very brief internet connectivity and then stopped working.

I removed the discs as per instructions and reset to factory defaults and then re-setup, all working again and the tablet connects fine again.

One thing that annoys me a little is that if I reboot the system via the app it connects the 2 slave dishes to the dish connected to the router, the furthest away dish then reports poor signal and drops the backhaul connection to 2.4ghz however if I manually turn them off then turn then on in a sequence starting with the nearest to the master dish first followed by the furthest one away, the dishes connect in a ‘daisy chain’ and report excellent connection at 5ghz. Would the dishes sort themselves out after an app reboot and eventually revert to the better (in my case) daisy chain setup or will they just sit all connected to the master even though the connectivity is poor?

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 92 of 160

@wenklaw wrote:

Tried compatibility mode which made no difference as I was still unable to connect via my android tablet but strangely all other devices connected fine still. I switched off the 2 other discs and only left the disc that is connected to my router via Ethernet on, still unable to connect my tablet even after switching it off and on which enabled the usual very brief internet connectivity and then stopped working.

I removed the discs as per instructions and reset to factory defaults and then re-setup, all working again and the tablet connects fine again.

One thing that annoys me a little is that if I reboot the system via the app it connects the 2 slave dishes to the dish connected to the router, the furthest away dish then reports poor signal and drops the backhaul connection to 2.4ghz however if I manually turn them off then turn then on in a sequence starting with the nearest to the master dish first followed by the furthest one away, the dishes connect in a ‘daisy chain’ and report excellent connection at 5ghz. Would the dishes sort themselves out after an app reboot and eventually revert to the better (in my case) daisy chain setup or will they just sit all connected to the master even though the connectivity is poor?

For the daisy chain - yes, over time the discs may re-adjust their topology on their own - it depends on how much better the signal is connecting via another disc than connecting directly to the "master" connected to the router. You could just manually reboot the one you want to become in a daisy chain rather than all 3, this should achieve the same effect.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 93 of 160

@wenklaw wrote:

I had the same problem but the disks sorted themselves out after a few days of being left alone.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 94 of 160

I thought the discs may adjust over time back to the best signal, in my case daisy chaining together but couldnt leave it to automatically do it as i run my XBOX PLEX client connected to the LAN on the furthest away disc.  When the disc is connected at 2.4ghz and states a poor signal i have had frame freezing on films and wanted to test it was all working without jitter.  This leads me on to another little niggle, which to be honest isnt really a fault of the Whole Home WiFi, the XBOX one if on WiFi normally connects via 2.4ghz and not 5ghz and you cant specify 5ghz only even though its only a couple of metres from the 3rd disc.

Hopefully the discs will remain connected in the daisy chain as all is working spot on again......at the moment.

0 Ratings
simhy1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 95 of 160

Pleased with WHWF generally, it's solved nearly all of my wifi problems in a small house with brick internal walls and a congested local 2.4GHz band, but having issues with dropped facetime calls.

0 Ratings
simhy1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 96 of 160

Details in the thread linked above, but needless to say this was user error and Facetime is now working seamlessly.
0 Ratings
dephead2004
Contributor
Message 97 of 160

When you look at Connected devices for each disk, the listed devices are often incomprehensible consisting of random numbers and ltters. In the HH6 and earlier it is possible to rename the devices.

Can this be done in the WHWF?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 98 of 160

@dephead2004 wrote:

When you look at Connected devices for each disk, the listed devices are often incomprehensible consisting of random numbers and ltters. In the HH6 and earlier it is possible to rename the devices.

Can this be done in the WHWF?

Not currently, but there is a feature update coming soon.

0 Ratings
dephead2004
Contributor
Message 99 of 160

That's a great help thanks 

0 Ratings
dephead2004
Contributor
Message 100 of 160

Two issues perhaps the forum can help with please.

3 disk setup which works well with the exception of disk 3 which shows poor connection. This is due to the layout of the building. Location can be adjusted but it would not be visually good (so I am told!)

I read that if I connected an ethernet cable things might improve. I connected this  to a BT HomeSpot. The disk went blue in the app but disks 1 & 3 went red. Reboot etc etc.

Any ideas?

Secondly neither chrome nor edge alllow a log in on my wired pc to http://mybtdevice.home. I receive a message "This iste cannot be reached"

All help appreciated 

0 Ratings