cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Ipv6 address

Hi can anyone shed some light on a recent issue.  The other day I received 2 separate emails from two different colleagues around the same time.  The originating IP addresses were similar but they are confused as it seems like they maybe from the same router though we are not sure and not very savvy with ip addresses.

They are

2a00:23c8:2c8b:8f00:cca7:f231:3beb:29a8

2a00:23c8:2c8b:8f00:b015:71a6:b9a6:1c6

Are these linked to the same router on the same day and at the same time.  We are wondering if there is an issue as the first part of the address looks the same.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ipv6 address

you appear to be and EE customer not BT retail - have you asked your question on your own EE forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Apologies not sure what you mean on a search these showed BT  are you saying one of them is EE and which one?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Hi, This means that the two colleagues are sending from the same place (router). The network part is 2a00:23c8:2c8b:8f00: (64 bits) for both of the addresses. The other 64 bits, cca7:f231:3beb:29a8 identifies the sending computer or mail agent. So, if as imjolly suggests, they are EE, then they could be using EE phones (most of which use ipv6). It all seems to be in order.
I am an enthusiast, but hope this helps.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@Jhornby 

Sorry you misunderstood my post.  From your other post you are an EE customer and I am saying this is a forum for BT RETAIL customers and asking if you have raised your question on your own EE forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks but I thought the ip originating address was the address to the router not from the router.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hi does anyone know what it means if the first 16 digits in a public/external  i pv6 address are the same but the last 16 are d ifferent.  Are they going to different routers?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi again jhornby.

All the digits together make an ipv6 address, which is unique for each endpoint. Your network card generates the right hand 16 digits (64bits) itself, which is almost bound to be unique.

The first bit belongs to the network you are attached to. I have a BT network, and the first bit is:

2a00:23c6:f081:3d01 . Technically, I also have the last two digits, only '01'  is used. This is called a 56bit prefix. That's nice of BT, and allows me to grow my private empire, so we can  all have internet-enabled cigarette lighters.

Assuming you are at home. All your devices would have a similar prefix to mine.  The structure is designed to facilitate routing of the packets.

Eventually, we will all get used to this, and realise it is a bit simpler. Especially as it almost self-configures.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks  it's becoming a little clearer now.  So both emails will be coming from the same router

0 Ratings