Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Is Whole Home really this bad

Hi

I know forums generally attract those seeking assistance with issues rather than those wishing to praise, but is the whole home WiFi kit really as bad as the threads portray?

I am in need of a mesh system at home and I have the option of the Whole Home, Google WiFi or TP Link Deco.

I like the specs of the whole home but am slightly concerned that there are many issues surrounding the stability of the discs either singularly or as a mesh. I cannot find anything as negative on the Google WiFi but that might be nobody is reporting.

However, I do know somebody who has a Google setup and says it is rock solid.

Does anybody have any thoughts, comments outside of those already posted.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gl3n
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is Whole Home really this bad

I’m really pleased with mine. I have six connected on 4 directly to Devolo 1200 homeplugs.

I have turned off the BT homehub and the Devolo wi-fi units I have as the whole home is much better.

I do get the odd issue every couple of months, turning everything off and back on solves this. I think it is the Devolo units having issues though.

Hope that helps!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply.

Anybody else?
0 Ratings
MrX911
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I’m beginning to think Mesh isn’t quite there yet.

I had an Orbi system which was great until a firmware update caused loads of issues ( this is still ongoing if you check their community)

So I then tried Google, AMPLIFI and BT.

Much to my surprise BT whole home performed ther best in terms if speed and coverage. And it was rock solid for 3 months without any reboots. Until.... the latest firmware! I’m rebooting every day. There are loads of posts on here about the same topic.

Shame because as I said it was great. I’m sure they will fix but could be months!
0 Ratings
gl3n
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

So that is really interesting, for the first couple of weeks mine was unstable like you say. A firmware update sorted it out!!!

About opposite to you, maybe there is something in the firmware up date process that is inconsistent.
0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I've had 6 discs now for about 3 months or so. They've been pretty good in general. I had issues with all the discs associating with the master only, and not daisy chaining leaving me with a couple of poor connections; a couple of google homes disconnesting constantly; the master disc randomly going off line, and either coming back on its own, or I'd have to hard reboot the master disc.

With the latest firmware installed, I have to say that all my issues seem to have been resolved. I can't really confirm whether the google home issue is sorted yet as only got one of the Homes back online yesterday (my fault).

Before the BT WHWifi, I bought and tried the Google Wifi product. I couldn't get it to talk to my BT Smart Hub router, and couldn't get the slaves to link to the master. Ended up getting a refund. Also, I have BTTV and have had issues using non-BT powerlines adaptors in the past, so I tend to stick to BT products now. I do have a netgear switch connected via ethernet to one of the slaves, and that seems to work perfectly too, supplying the BT TV box.

I do have the wifi on my router disabled.

A colleague has the Linksys Velop product, and he seems pleased with that. Has it linked to a virgin router.

When they're working they are great products. I just think that the massive variability in the networks and items that have to connect to them means that there will always be issues with some installations.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

...until tonight when it has just all gone off for no reason. Master Disc reboot has got it back up and running again but topology has no daisy chaining. Grrrrr.......

0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Again, thanks everybody.

It does seem like a mixed bag of reviews possibly linked to flaky firmware.

Certainly a dilemma to think about.
0 Ratings
MrX911
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

If you purchase from Amazon - you'll have a good amount of time to try it out and send back without hassle.

Good luck

0 Ratings