cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Is it safe to give an app my BT hub password?

Go to solution
  1. I am trying to setup an app for a UbiBot WS1 temperature sensor, and it wants to know my location, the SSID and the password for my BT hub, is it safe to give it to them?
EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on an iPad Mini
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Is it safe to give an app my BT hub password?

Go to solution

If you read the information about your UbiBot WS1 temperature sensor and about what the app is used for it will tell you why it needs those permissions. Once you do that you can make an informed decision if you want it to connect to your BT hub so that you can use all its features.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Yes, it's no different to entering WiFi password on a printer. Not going to work unless you do.

Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 but it does not say why it wants the info.

EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on an iPad Mini
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks but surely licquorice, the printer manufacture will not have access to this info, whereas UniBot will have access to the password etc

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

Can't see how Ubibot will have access, surely it will only be your device and the app

Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
Oh OK licquorice, thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Even if Ubibot did have the SSID and password, it would be of no use to them unless they were sitting outside your house connecting to your WiFi.

Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

Yes, thanks licquorice, I just worried because I have not been asked these questions before and I don’t see why they want to know my location. I am not technical, and it seems a bit odd to me because they say the actual device does not use my wifi, I just use the app to access the info that the device sends to the cloud. I can’t actually talk to the device.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

But the device uses your WiFi to access the cloud.

0 Ratings