cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Issue with Smart Hub 2

Hi,

I have been looking through the posts on the community for a solution to a definite Smart Hub 2 problem. There are many reference to WiFi 'dropping' and the general response seems to be 'noisy line' issues. However, this is definitely NOT the problem.

My SH2 has a DSL uptime of more than 9 days.

Just half an hour ago, my main PC (connected to the hub by ethernet cable - via PowerLine network... i.e. hardwired, not WiFi connect) lost connection to the Internet.

The log on the SH2 shows: "DHCP device disconnected: 192.168.1.219" at 16:56:22, then "DHCP device connected: 192.168.1.219" at 16:57:25, followed by "admin login success from 192.168.1.219" at 16:57:46 when I downloaded the log.

There was a firmware update on the 11th April 2021, version v0.26.03.01286-BT.

Is anyone looking at the real problem, please? (e.g. @licquorice ?)

Thanks, Paul

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Issue with Smart Hub 2

The problem with the firmware is well documented on here and there is a fix being rolled out this month. However the problem is not like yours but is to do with devices on the 2.4ghz network being able to communicate with devices on the 5ghz network and vice versa.

As hub is not dropping connection have you checked your power line adapter for problems?  Have you tried connecting your device direct to the hub by ethernet and see if that solves the problem ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@p_d_hodgson  I'm just another customer like you so, unfortunately not in a position to look at the problem.

However, a couple of things you could consider. Try setting the DHCP lease time to 21days (Advanced settings > My Network > IPv4 Configuration > Lease Time). It could be the powerline adapters causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

@licquorice , apologies... had not realised... in which case MANY THANKS for all the help you give everyone on this forum, great work (much better than what we get from BT).

@imjolly , thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, the problem afflicts all devices independently of their connect method. I used the hard-wired example just to highlight that the issue is not restricted to "WiFi disconnects". At the same point issues of disconnect/reconnects occur for 2 Synology NAS (connected the same way), and connected by WiFi... a Google Home Mini, a  Windows Laptop, a MacBook Pro and all the mobile phones in the house (about half a dozen of these). 

One of the biggest problems is that my son had a disconnect a couple of days ago in the middle of a job interview on Zoom... or was it Teams! Either way, not helpful in his job search!

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi @licquorice , yes, had been playing with DHCP lease times to try to see if it would improve things. I dropped it to 12 hours (to see if the cache might clear up a bit) then reset it back to 21 days. No improvement either way, unfortunately.

The powerline has been very stable, and this problem has only manifested itself in the last month... which is why I thought it might be related to the Firmware update (which I had seen was related to the 2.5/5G WiFi issues).

Thanks, Paul

0 Ratings