cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigski
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

LG OLED TV associating with furthest BT Disc

I have been having issues with watching Netflix, quality will drop from 4K to HD or SD. I thought it was a broadband internet issue so ignored it for a while. As it kept happening, I tested wifi internet connection from the BT whole home, and it was fine. I then looked at which disc it was associated with, and it was associated with the disc that is upstairs, and the other side of the house, so the wifi performance was not capable of running 4K this far away. I disabled the TV wifi on the BT disc, and re-enabled and it then associated with the nearest one. Is there was way to disable the TV mac address on the disc that I dont want it to connect to, ie force it to connect to the nearest one, to guarantee 4K Netflix? It seems to keep connecting to the furthest one, the one I don't want it to connect to. This only seems a problem with the LG TV, other devices such as tablets and phones seem to connect to the nearest one.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
JohnC2
Message 2 of 13

Re: LG OLED TV associating with furthest BT Disc

Hi @craigski  welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry your TV is connecting to the disc furthest away from it. 

The Whole Home Wifi product team will be able to help you with this. You can contact them by phone: 0808 100 6116 Mon to Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm and Sat 9.00am to 2.00pm. Or drop them an email to: btconnectedhome@bt.com

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
craigski
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I did call them, they told me to power down the furthest disc, to force it to connect to the nearest one (ie so I can get 4K) when Netflix is in standard definition.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 4 of 13

Hi @craigski  Did that solve the problem?

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
craigski
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Not really, its a bit of a pain to have to go upstairs, the other side of the house, and turn a disc off when I want to watch a film in 4K. It would be better if the TV would connect with the disc with the strongest signal, ie the closest one. I have only noticed this problem since I upgraded the discs to the new firmware last week. I'm assuming the firmware should move a device to the disc with the best signal with fastest speed.

0 Ratings
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 13

Hi @craigski , as you say, it seems to be something specific to the way your LG TV chooses its network, and there's very little the discs can do to prevent it.

I don't know how these LG TV work, but what do you see when you connect to wi-fi on your TV user interface? Does your TV show you several whole home wi-fi networks with the same network name (but different ID eg MAC address)? Some devices are clever enough to just show one name, but others aren't and show all the discs.

If so, that could be the problem. First "Forget" all your wi-fi networks on your TV. Then reconnect, making sure you pick the network in the list with the ID that match the disc you want. Before you do this, you may need to use your Whole Home app to check the ID of each disc (tap a disc, then go to 'Disc details').

I don't know if that'll fix your problem, but worth a try.

Hope this helps, but come back here if not.

0 Ratings
craigski
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

The LG TV only sees 1 BT whole home wifi network. I have 2 discs, 1 downstairs 3m away from TV, the other is upstairs 15m away. Both are connected to router via network cable. When I look at devices in the App, and the TV is connected to closest disc I see, 5Ghz, signal -41, speed 866Mbs on the App. When TV is connected to furthest I see 5Ghz, signal -86, speed 58Mbs.

Once it is connected to furthest disc, it will remain there, unless I force it to go to closest by powering the furthest off.

I have discovered a better work around, saves me going up stairs when watching TV, if I check the app and see the TV is connected to upstairs disc, if I click block, then unblock it seems to reconnect to closest.

0 Ratings
kevocl
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Is either disc connected via a switch? Is the uptime for both discs similar?

I had an issue where a disc connected via switch was rebooting because the switch was saving power. It resulted in some devices not always connecting to the nearest (strongest) disc, but connecting to the stable disc.

0 Ratings
craigski
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Yes both discs connected via ethernet to switch, both have similar uptimes. The furthest/weakest (ie the one the LG TV sometimes connects to) is the primary. It would be nice to assign a preferred disc to devices in the App, rather than let the discs decide which disc the device should connect. My work around seems to work quite well, if I use the App I can disconnect the device if its on the weakest disc, and it normally re-connects to the nearest.

0 Ratings
SuperNilton
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

This is just a guess, but what happens if you swap the discs?

0 Ratings