Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhatDoIKnow
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Lost Connections with BT Homespot

Go to solution

I'm getting a little frustrated right now...

About two weeks ago, I lost all connections to broadband via the BT Homespot which had been working perfectly since bought. 

Mobiles & ipad can see the connection on wi-fi, but it just drops before connecting & my Sky box insists that I need to connect to broadband (which is connected via Ethernet).

I've tried rebooting the Homespots. rebooting the Homehub 5, tried 'pretending' it's a new set up - all to no avail.

The main Homespot plug is hardwired to the router, but I can't connect to that network when near it. The extension uses the house electricity supply with the Sky box plugged in & everything else wireless.

Today has been another dedicated day to try and resolve the problem. I thought that I may have identified the issue when I looked at the router event log & saw that the LAN socket that the homespot is connected to wasn't 'up' and the last time it was was approximately just before connection was lost. Eventually I saw it was 'up' so went to check...sadly no difference.

I'm not a computer geek, but I'm also not a complete novice, but I have run out of ideas now.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I can fix this swearwording thing?

Thanks in advance...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lost Connections with BT Homespot

Go to solution
0 Ratings
WhatDoIKnow
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck.

I reset hub5 to factory default, but same issue. Everything 'looks' perfect on the homespot but no connection.

I then (again) reset the extender  to factory settings while not connected to the router, then replugged in the ethernet. No joy.

I then reset the homespot Which the tv is hardwired into) but no joy. 

The only thing that strikes me as strange is that the homespot keeps showing as connected to LAN2 (where the main computer is connected) whereas the homespot is connected to LAN3. I thought that the reset of the router might have corrected that, but it re-appeared in the same LAN port as my PC as it was before the reset. I really do not recall if the devices looked like that when it was all working, but am wondering if it could be the heart of the issue...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
WhatDoIKnow
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

A quick update as I cannot amend my original post.

Just to clarify, this morning I reset the hub via the Hub Manager on PC.

For completeness, I physically reset the hub this afternoon, using the reset on the hub itself.

I'm sorry to say, I have the same result.

0 Ratings
WhatDoIKnow
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry for yet another update but more information has come to light.

The homespot still 'shows' that it's working perfectly from the lights.

I have identified one error in my previous assumptions regarding the homespot being on the same LAN connection as the PC - apologies.

My trawling for potential solutions led me to find the BT Device Configuration Tool. I thought that I might find more info etc on it but the Homespot just didn't show on it. I then followed the IP address of the mysterious connection that I had assumed was he homespot (yes I should have done that sooner) to find that the connection that I was seeing was a streamer that I hadn't used in a long time & was not the hotspot. One mystery solved as a red herring.

Back on the problem, on the Devices tab on the Hub Manager, I could see a speed indicated on LAN3 but no device. I swapped ports, checking that the ethernet went off on the homespot and back on when connected. Also took the opportunity to reset the Homespot again. The hub manager is showing a speed 100mb/s but no device on the 'new' port LAN4.

I hope that helps to narrow the problem.

0 Ratings
WhatDoIKnow
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Another update, but finally good news!
All of previous resets, restarts etc. have mainly centred on the Homehub 5 & the extender, with just a couple of resets on the homespot itself.
I'd read of a reset regarding Sky box, but as my mobile devices couldn't connect to the wifi, it was lower on my list.
Tonight, I completely unplugged the sky box and the homespot (with the extender still plugged in upstairs) & left them 5 mins. I rechecked connections at back of sky box, all okay, then plugged the sky box in & left it another 5 mins. By this time, the screen showed that it was not connected to t'internet.
I then plugged in the homespot & left it 5 mins. The screen had same message, but when I pressed select for set up, it was all connected. Brilliant!
I then checked connections via wifi on phone & I have my homespot back!
Happy bunny!
Hopefully, my tribulations might help others who may have the same experience.
0 Ratings