cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Macbook disconnecting from Whole Home wi-fi

I got a Whole Home 3 disc pack about 6 months ago, then later added another disc to fill in a dead spot. This all worked perfectly until the last few weeks. 

Since mid December, my MacBook Pro running High Sierra has started from the wifi constantly. It will stay connected for a few minutes, then drop the connection for a few minutes, and then reconnect again. The problems seem to have started since the Whole Home firmware update a few weeks ago. All other devices in the house (phones, tablets, a PC, TV, my work windows laptop) don't have his problem, just the MacBook. 

To use the MacBook, I've had to re-enable the wifi on my main router (TP Link) and move nearer the router whenever i want to use the MacBook (which was why i got the whole home in the first place!). 

Does anyone else have this problem, or know how it can be resolved? 

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 2 of 34

Re: Macbook disconnecting from Whole Home wi-fi

Hi js25,

Sorry I can't offer any help but I just wanted to add that this has been happening to me as well (2013 MacBook pro, High Sierra). 

I had to do a cold reboot of all the discs to get a stable connection again. 

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Thanks Mark, I will try that. When you say cold boot, did you just power off all the discs rather than rebooting via the app? 

John.

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 4 of 34

Yes exactly that. Rebooting via the app didn't resolve it. 

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 34

I have exactly the same problem.  The Whole Home WiFi was rock solid until recently.  I'm not sure if the problem is linked to the the last firmware update of the WiFi, the release of High Sierra or both.

I wonder if it could be linked to this https://community.bt.com/bt/board/message?board.id=OtherBB&message.id=148108#M148108

0 Ratings
Highlighted
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 34

Hi Mark, 

I tried your suggestion - it seemed to work for an hour or so, then started disconnecting again. Was worth giving it a go though! 

Restarting everthing also resulted in losing one of the discs off the whole home network, one that was connected by ethernet over a powerline adapter to the router - I need to remember how I got that working in the first place but that's another issue...

John. 

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 7 of 34

Hi John,

That's similar to my exprience too. Everything is fine after a reboot and then deteriorates again. 

I have one disc on powerline networking which can be a bit funny - I tend to start this one last and that helps

Good luck and lets hope we get some help from BT soon. 

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 8 of 34

In fact my entire network has become flaky. 

The app goes haywire periodically (telling me that I'm not connected to BT Wifi or that there is an intenret connection problem etc...). Devices dropping out every few seconds (they seems to remain connected but have total packet loss). One of my security cameras basically will not connect at all now. The app is showing devices connected to multiple discs, and some devices which are connected and working (such as this one) are not shown at all in the App (even under "Disconnected")

At the moment I'm restarting the whole thing about once per day, sometimes more. 

Odd that something which was so stable has become virtually unusable over the space of about 2 weeks.  

Would be nice to get some comment from someone at BT about these issues.

There's almost nothing useful in the logs (when you can get them, becuase the web UI is also virtualy completley broken now with blank screens https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Whole-Home-wifi-web-screens-blank/m-p/1807923)

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
MangoMan2020
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

I feel like this is what I'm experiencing. Although I only set my discs up just after Christmas day. Constant drop outs on my Google Homes, and on my phones. I do have some devices that are fine, so I guess the problems are down to specific devices.

As said, I'm mainly having problems with my Google Homes. Also, there are 2x Galaxy S6 Edges that are having issues (these work fine elsewhere or if I enable old networkd directly via router, and maintain wifi connection no problems). Devies that don't seem to have issues are an Iphone 6, Xperia Z5, Harmony Hub. I have others but these are the ones 'always on' so I can monitor it.

0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 34

The logs from the web UI don't seem to be fully complete, but I can see quite a few entries for my macbook, with "IF[5G]: STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) had disassociated" followed a few minutes later by "IF[5G]: STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) had associated successfully", which seems to correspond with the disconnections. 

0 Ratings