cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 11 of 34

Re: Macbook disconnecting from Whole Home wi-fi

It does seem to be device specific but for me it's also device/disc specific. 

e.g.  if I connect my laptop to the Bedroom disc it drops out every few minutes (I leave a ping running every second so it's easy to see), but the same machine connected to the Kitchen disc is rock solid for as long as I've cared to monitor it. 

Also there is a time element involved too it seems. A friend was round the other day and was Airplaying a live HD stream to my TV for hours without a single hiccup, then suddenly it started dropping the connection every few minutes. Rebooting that disc didnt help, but rebooting the entire network (all discs off and then on again) meant he was able to stream again for another few hours without interruption.

Also I've noticed that the naming of devices in the app is rubbish. Sometimes devices will take on the name of another device, somtimes they'll forget the name I've given them and sometimes they'll just appear as "unkown". Also devices can sometimes fall out of the group that they've been placed in (usually when they've picked up the name of another device)

Sadly the whole thing is a bit of a mess. Here's hoping for a firmware upgrde soon

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Hi Mark,

I did wonder if it was disc specific so tried swapping two discs yesterday to see if the solved the problem, but i didn't for me.

I've managed to get two of the discs connected by ethernet now with the other two on wifi - they do appear as two separate whole home networks on the phone app now, with only one of the ethernet connected discs appearing blue at one time (the furthest away one is red), and the two wifi connected ones appearing one either one network or the other in blue. Ive posted about this on another thread, but I don's seem to be having the same disconnection problems so far since i tried this earlier today. 

John.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 34

Looking at the logs I can see a lot of "blacklisted in MAC filter list" messages.  I don't have any devices blacklisted so I'm not sure why I would see this.

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 14 of 34

That's interesting. For my 2nd problematic device (Nest camera) I get a huge amount of those entries in the log thus : 

02.01.2018 17:45:21 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:19 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:19 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:06 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:02 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:00 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:45:00 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:44:46 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:44:42 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:44:40 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:44:40 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 17:44:40 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) had deauthenticated
02.01.2018 17:27:16 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) had associated successfully
02.01.2018 16:53:12 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 16:53:08 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 16:53:06 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list
02.01.2018 16:53:06 IF[2.4G]:STA(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) blacklisted in MAC filter list

The conneciton to the camera keeps dropping out, presumably in line with those entries. Signal strength to the camera isn't brilliant (-71) but I would have thought it would be good enough to remain connected?

0 Ratings
timashley
Beginner
Message 15 of 34

I am having the same hair tearing problems, mainly with my Macbook Pro high sierra but it does seem to date from a recent FW update to the discs. THe system was faukltless before and now it is so flaky as to be useless. I'm going to be a) asking for a refund and b) letting people know that this is an usntable system that is really quite expensive given how unreliable it is....

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 16 of 34

We're investigating these issues at high priority - there have also been changes to most device software as a result of the KRACK WPA2 flaw so we're looking into how this has had an impact on the Whole Home Wi-Fi operation.

Please contact the helpdesk at btconnectedhome@bt.com who will be able to help with the issues.

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
timashley
Beginner
Message 17 of 34

Dan, thanks for your reply and I do appreciate that you are spending your own private time on this. However, surely if contacting the Helpdesk (which in general feels rather like Alice must have felt as she went down the rabbit hole) can help, then there must be solutions that can be tried that could be posted here?
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 18 of 34

Hi @timashley

I understand what you're saying but going through the helpdesk helps us keep traceability for all customer issues/help so we're able to track what has been done etc and helps us inform everyone once we have updates/additional steps to follow.

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
timashley
Beginner
Message 19 of 34

Good points. Thank you. I have now emailed the help desk....

0 Ratings
timashley
Beginner
Message 20 of 34

Update. I emailed help desk and no response. Overnight there's been a FW update, which seems to have made the entire system less stable and to reduce the logic of what connects to what in the mesh, and to reduce signal strength in those parts of my property that I most needed the system to help with.

So all in all, a poorly supported, white elephant product. 

0 Ratings