cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris1892
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Mini Connector - Data light on, but no connection to Internet.

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has had this issue. I have connected a 4th mini connector to my network as per instructions. I then have plugged it into my summer house (electric is on the same ring as the house). Data light is on, but when I try to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable, laptop says there's no connection to the internet. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Chris

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Mini Connector - Data light on, but no connection to Internet.

Have you tried using one of the known working mini connectors in the summer house just to test the connection.

0 Ratings
Chris1892
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Yeah tried that, same result. I have tried the  mini connector back in the house and connected the ethernet to the laptop and it works. So Im not sure what the issue is up at the summer house.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Does the summer house have its own consumer unit (fuse box) even although it is on the same ring main as the main house.

0 Ratings
Chris1892
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Yeah it does have its own fuse box (trip switch)

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

That could be the problem. The summer house probably has its own ring circuit going through the fuse box albeit it is fed off your house electrical circuit. 

0 Ratings
Chris1892
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

ahhhhh ok, thanks for that. Shame, I was just going to connect to to a router and broadcast wifi from it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

If possible you would be better to run an Ethernet cable to the summer house and use a wireless access point to give you a wireless signal. 

If you use another router you need to change settings in the router other wise you will have problems. 

0 Ratings
Chris1892
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Yeah, that looks like plan B. Presume I could plug the ethernet cable into one of the mini connectors in the back of the house?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

The best option would be to run Ethernet directly from the hub but if that is not possible it should work running from the mini connector. Ethernet has a limit of 100 meters before the signal drops of noticeably and you will get some inherent loss due to using the mini connectors. 

EDIT: If you get a good 3/4g phone signal you always tether your laptop to your mobile phone and use your mobile data. If its just for "surfing" it shouldn't need a lot of data.

0 Ratings