Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Mini Wi-fi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

Hi

The plug in extender's data light does not come on. I have tried rebooting and fitting a different cable to modum but still no joy. Ideas?

Mervyn

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Mini Wi-fi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

Has it previously worked?

Have you set it up correctly and paired it with the "slave" adapter as per the instructions?

https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/bvfh/mini_wi-fi_home_hotspot_600_multi_kit_qsg.pd...

Have you tried it in a different electrical socket socket?

0 Ratings
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi, this is a new device so not previously set up. I have connected the plug in extender with only 2 lights coming on, as this is wired into the modem I cant see why the data light is not on. Have pressed the link button for over 15 seconds to reboot but no data light. Will try the hotspot plug closer to the extender to see if this makes a difference. Any other suggestions? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

What is happening at the slave end. Is that one doing anything?
0 Ratings
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Have just got the 2 lights on power and wireless, the wps light doesn't come on. Will try this in another room in the property on the same ring circuit.

0 Ratings
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Have now tried on the ring circuit within the bungalow and it works ok. There must be something that stops it from working as it goes from the bungalow to the garage fusebox then from there to the garden house fusebox.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

If you have an RCD device in the circuit, then that can cause the signal to be lost. RCDs have a small coil inside on both live and neutral, so they can detect current inbalance.

Its likely that the feed to the garage would have an RCD in the feed, for safety.

An Ethernet cable is likely to be the only solution.

0 Ratings
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

That makes sense there is RCD on bungalow box for the cable that runs to the garage, an RCD on the garage box then an RCD on the garden house box. Dont think I've got any chance with that.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

That is rather a lot of RCDs and does not really help with protection, as its not possible to guarantee which RCD will trip.

Usually you would have a single RCD protecting the feed to the garage with a 30mA trip rating, which I think is fairly standard.

All they actually do is to detect any difference between the current flowing in live and neutral, what goes out, should come back, unless there is a fault.

There is an explanation here https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Distribution/RCD.htm

A bit off topic, but just wondered why you had so many RCDs in circuit, was this arrangement installed by a qualified electrician?

It looks like you will have to run an Ethernet cable inside some conduit.

0 Ratings
Mervync1
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Just how the bungalow was wired with a feed to a fuse box in the garage. The box in the garage distributes lights and sockets so I presume they need protection. All wiring has been done by qualified electricians with certificates produced. 

Looks like the Ethernet cable in conduit or I might try a signal booster from the closest socket in the bungalow to the garden house.

0 Ratings