cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 29

Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

I have the Mini WiFi Home Hotspot kit with firmware version 1.0.2. It may very well be that that is the latest version, but I cannot for the life of me find a BT site where I can check that. Has anyone else had more luck?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

I've found the software for the Mini Wifi 500 hotspot but the equivalent page for the 600 doesn't have a software link. You could try if this works http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45220/c/6555

0 Ratings
nickinkew
Message 3 of 29

This is only a device access tool. If you get the wrong firmware, the device checks if the software is suitable and doesn't upload it if it isn't.
I have the same issue and can't find the updated firmware. I want to update it because the wretched thing keeps dropping connectivity...
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 29

Hi northshields,

I can confirm that firmware version 1.0.2 is the latest version avaliable for your device.

Hope this helps.

Darren B

0 Ratings
Duggee
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

Thank you for confirming the Latest Firmware - but this does not solve the problem.

There is a definite issue on these devices as I have also experiened annoying issues with the link being lost on the Mini Home Hotspot 600kit.

From time to time the connection is lost and devices attached to it cannot see the server.

Both devices are on the same ring Mains loop and not different ones, plus the ring main does not have equipment which could generate 'spikes' due to high current switching, potentially causing problems?

Essentially - this device has inherent problems which have not been investigated and need to be - so a new firmware release can be made. Just read above other customers with the same issue.

When consumers part with their cash they expect devices to work. It's acceptable to have a few issues in the early stages of product release but this device has now been around a while.

Does anyone from BT Shop Support/Product Sourcing team read this Forum?.

Finally, I would add that these 'loss of connection' problems seem to happen more on 'streamed data' - such as using Netflix for example.

The only way to restore the link is to switch the devices off, then on again. This is annoying.

I have proved there is no problem with the router & broadband by temporarily extending a hard wired ethernet Cat 5 cable downstars and providing another WiFi access point. This runs Netwflix without any issues at all.

Can we get any feedback on whether this issue will ever be investigated??. If not, I'd recommend you withdraw it from sale - or highlight the device may need reset from time to time !.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 29

As the OP, I agree with Duggee that there seems to be a problem, albeit a slight one. I have certainly experienced on a number of occasions a situation where one hotspot loses internet connection whilst the other, on the same ring main, does not.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Same issues here.

Just brought the BT Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 multi kit and keep getting intermittent Internet connectivity (external) when browsing YouTube or any sort of web streaming. The WiFi connection (local) to the hotspot is stable as I can access computer on the LAN without any issue and can see PC and mobile device connected to WiFi.

I've contacted BT Helpdesk and waiting on a solution, if no solution I will be sending the device back for a refund. I will post update when I get a reply.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

@MiniWiFi600Userwrote:

Same issues here.

Just brought the BT Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 multi kit and keep getting intermittent Internet connectivity (external) when browsing YouTube or any sort of web streaming. The WiFi connection (local) to the hotspot is stable as I can access computer on the LAN without any issue and can see PC and mobile device connected to WiFi.

I've contacted BT Helpdesk and waiting on a solution, if no solution I will be sending the device back for a refund. I will post update when I get a reply.

This is the email reply received from BT Helpdesk. It seems there is no firmware update for the 600, not sure what they are going to do with the current issues with this device.

Hi

There is no firmware update available for the 600 model (white one). The firmware is for the 500 model which is not valid for the 600.

Regards

BT Connected Home Helpdesk

BT Consumer

Tel: +44 (0) 808-100-6116

Email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

Web: www.bt.com

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 29

Newbie,

The response you have received is disappointing as it is clear that several people have had the same issue.

However, it would be interesting to know whether other brands of Homeplug have the same problem or whether it is confined to ones bearing the BT name.

0 Ratings
Duggee
Beginner
Message 10 of 29

The Reply from the BT Connected Home Helpdesk is somewhat unhelpful as it does not move forward the issue of resolving the Mini WiFi Home Spot 600 problem for customers.

If there is no firmware that is update-able - then clearly the devices used in the product have major issues.

On behalf of customers who have paid for this device (and have similar issues) I would like to ask the BT Connected Home Helpdesk to advise customers what they should do about replacing their defective products.

I would point out that this type of problem (eg disconnection of media streaming) may not have been immediately obvious, so the normal 30 days may have elapsed.  I am not sure what warranty there is on this particular product as there is no point replacing it with the same product again.

One last thing to add is that I have found that disconnection is not always with external public media servers. I use a Music server internally on my network and that also has issues with the BT Mini Wifi Home Spot 600. Again, I proved the network was OK by trying the temporary Ethernet cable from my upstairs router with an alternative WiFi Access Point. This solved the problem.

I'd say conclusively there is a fault on this product that won't go away.

Can we have a constructive response please.

0 Ratings