cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

Not a acceptable solution, as it's a device software issue, an actual permanent firmware update would be more helpful.

Here is latest reply from BTHelpdesk:

Hi

Please try resetting the kit. Press the Link button on the Broadband Extender for 15 seconds (until all lights go off momentarily) then press the Reset button on the Hotspot with a pin for 2 seconds (until the Wireless light goes red). Wait for 2 minutes (until the power, data and wireless lights come back on) then check the connection again.

Regards

BT Connected Home Helpdesk

BT Consumer

Tel: +44 (0) 808-100-6116

Email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

Web: www.bt.com

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

I've sent reply to BTHelpdesk requesting a permanent solution such as a firmware update is required, as resetting the device is just a temporary solution which is not acceptable. I will keep this post updated with reply from BTHelpdesk.
0 Ratings
Duggee
Beginner
Message 13 of 29

Well that latest reply from BT Helpdesk is somewhat silly and a waste of time.

I call that a' sticking plaster solution'.

Lets all bury our heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

Maybe they would like to install these devices in their own homes - turn on You Tube or Netflix one night , settle down, then 10 minutes later ... "sorry everyone I just have to go upstairs to rest the Mini 600 Hotspot I just bought from BT."

Maybe that is the opening scene of a new Tech comedy by the BBC ?

Keep us posted.

0 Ratings
Trickster81
Message 14 of 29

Im having similar problems was hard enough finding the device configurator again as turned the wifi off ages ago and need it back on to try something. Have been using hardline for ages.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

Latest email states there is no firmware update (as we're already aware of). It looks like we two options 1) Put up with it or, 2) return to retailer for exchange/refund under warranty.

Hi

Unfortunately there is no firmware update availablre for this device. As you have reset the devices and are still getting the problem please return the kit to the retailer for exchange/refund under warranty. Your Fault Reference is FXXXXXXX.

Regards

BT Connected Home Helpdesk

BT Consumer

Tel: +44 (0) 808-100-6116

Email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

Web: www.bt.com

0 Ratings
hawklands
Message 16 of 29

I too having same problems. I have two sets of 600's (different houses) and they all    suffer from the disconnection issues totally randomly. They sometimes re connect after about 5 minutes but usually you have to turn on and off. Very annoying. Bt need to  fix this issue as other customers have asked but my historical  dealings with BT do not give me any hope at present

0 Ratings
Duggee
Beginner
Message 17 of 29

After doing a bit of research on this - it seems that several other Mains WiFi extenders suffer this problem of 'random disconnection' of streamed data occasionally. Plus guess what ..... the solution is to turn them on and off again. Very convenient (not) !.

So I think the time has come to throw the towel in on this one, as unless you rip out the Mini Homespot 600 the problem is not going to away. If you have only just bought them you will probably be OK to get your money back withn BT's T's & C's.

I'm biting the bullet and installing CAT 5 cable from my Router in my loft study all the way downstairs to connect to a new dual band WiFi Access point. That also gives the 5GHz option which is a less cluttered band.

Installing all this defeats the object of buying a Mains Extender in the first place and I assume the BT one is a badged version of some of those talked about on other forums ? . (Just my assumption only).

BT's confirmed solution is to keep switching it on and off to solve the problem anyway, and ..... btw my BT 1200 Wifi Repeater has the same disconnection problem as well on streaming.

So my advice would be if you want better wifi and rock solid media streaming - roll up your sleeves - and install some Ethernet CAT  5 cable from your router and install a good quality WiFi Access point. Some operate with Power over Ethernet (PoE) so you don't need a local power socket.

If your router does not supply PoE on the data ports, you need a PoE injector that simply adds power  to the data cable.

My Mini Home HotSpot 600 is now to be used just as a Guest Wifi for visitors  emails and a bit of quick web access only.

Life is so harsh isn't it ?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

@Duggeewrote:

After doing a bit of research on this - it seems that several other Mains WiFi extenders suffer this problem of 'random disconnection' of streamed data occasionally. Plus guess what ..... the solution is to turn them on and off again. Very convenient (not) !.

So I think the time has come to throw the towel in on this one, as unless you rip out the Mini Homespot 600 the problem is not going to away. If you have only just bought them you will probably be OK to get your money back withn BT's T's & C's.

I'm biting the bullet and installing CAT 5 cable from my Router in my loft study all the way downstairs to connect to a new dual band WiFi Access point. That also gives the 5GHz option which is a less cluttered band.

Installing all this defeats the object of buying a Mains Extender in the first place and I assume the BT one is a badged version of some of those talked about on other forums ? . (Just my assumption only).

BT's confirmed solution is to keep switching it on and off to solve the problem anyway, and ..... btw my BT 1200 Wifi Repeater has the same disconnection problem as well on streaming.

So my advice would be if you want better wifi and rock solid media streaming - roll up your sleeves - and install some Ethernet CAT  5 cable from your router and install a good quality WiFi Access point. Some operate with Power over Ethernet (PoE) so you don't need a local power socket.

If your router does not supply PoE on the data ports, you need a PoE injector that simply adds power  to the data cable.

My Mini Home HotSpot 600 is now to be used just as a Guest Wifi for visitors  emails and a bit of quick web access only.

Life is so harsh isn't it ?

Yes indeed.

Thanks Duggee for the detailed analysis and temporary solution. I originally bought these for my parents mobile devices as they were grumbling about poor reception from my existing WiFi router, I have some networking knowledge and the Cat5 ethernet cable method is indeed the way forwards. Anyway I'll keep these and hopefully if more users kick up a fuss they'll get the OEM or BT to release a new firmware for a permanent solution for this problem.

Best Regards.

0 Ratings
northshields
Contributor
Message 19 of 29

To be fair to BT, I am just wondering whether there is anything that can be done, or whether the problem is simply a characteristic of the Homeplug system.

Before getting the Mini Wifi Home Hotspot 600 Kit, I had the 500 version and that had the same problem. BT did issue a firmware update which was designed to deal with precisely this problem, and although it improved things a little, it certainly did not eradicate he problem altogether. Perhaps, therefore, nothing further can be done in any event.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

@northshieldswrote:

To be fair to BT, I am just wondering whether there is anything that can be done, or whether the problem is simply a characteristic of the Homeplug system.

Before getting the Mini Wifi Home Hotspot 600 Kit, I had the 500 version and that had the same problem. BT did issue a firmware update which was designed to deal with precisely this problem, and although it improved things a little, it certainly did not eradicate he problem altogether. Perhaps, therefore, nothing further can be done in any event.

I wouldn't be too quick to give up and jump over to BT side if I was you, you have bought their product and they need to support it, too many people (whether lacking in wireless networking knowledge) give up too easily this makes it difficult for the rest of us to get them to fix it. Don't give up!

If I'd known BT was so laid back in support for their consumer devices I wouldd have bought another brand, I certainly won't be buying anything wireless network related from them again. I'm a software engineer by skillset and I've seen applications developed by developers where the newer version/upgrade had inherited flaws from older version of the patch it's trying to fix and I would not be surprised if they copy and pasted the 500 firmware patch over to the 600 and relabelled it as v1.0.0 and fob this new model off as an enhanced version without a permanent fix which is lazy, then some poor mug whom has bought the 500 goes out and buys the 600 thinking it's different.

Below is the Home Hotspot 500 firmware directly from BT's website which describes the issue it fixes:

Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 software

The latest firmware version for the Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 is:

version 1.8.8

Fix intermittent internet disconnection problems
Include wi-fi channel selection in the user interface

0 Ratings