cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duggee
Beginner
Message 21 of 29

Re: Mini WiFi Home Hotspot 600 Kit

I would agree with 'northsheilds' that not everyone should give up.

Reason the way I decided to implement Ethernet Cable and a more professional WiFi Access point was because of the length of time ago I had bought the 600 unit, plus ...... looking at the Forum thread on this topic already, I don't see BT doing anything about this problem.

The forum can go on until next year and we may still be debating it.

It wasn't until recently I started running my TV Media player off it and discovered the dreaded 'disconnection syndrome' on streaming. So too late now to ask for a refund - unless BT offered one of course !.

I'd certainly  like to see BT offering an immediate refund of people who bought the 600 recently and have these issues.

I would also like to see BT being up front about use of Mains WiFi Extenders - in particular the Mini Spot 600, which should carry a cautionary notice for people wanting to use them for Data Media Streaming - ie they may exhibit random disconnection and require reset !.

They appear to work for occasional web browse and emails, BUT NOT the way some of us want to use them.

By not issuing a notice of this weakness in the design, it just potentially creates yet more unhappy customers.

Its a very valid point 'northshields' makes about re-use of old code. I too am from a Comms/Electronics development background and had responsibility for R&D across hardware and software.

If I had the time I'd like to do more 'back to back' testing on the bench with these units, but there are more pressing things to do of course.

I'd say that many Mains WiFi extenders probably use 'device building blocks' from one or two manufacturers and have core characterisitics that determine a fundamental behaviour - so doesn't matter if you buy Product A, B C or D - they all will have the same flaw. Tweaking firmware just masks the problem to a certain extent. This is just a hunch.

It will be interesting if this issue is ever acknowledged properly by BT.

0 Ratings
pafos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 29

I had 5 of these units and they all kept dropping connections sometimes over 10 times per day.

Got totally fed up with no BT solution.

Fixed problem once and for all----bought another manufactures system (German) and problem all gone !!

0 Ratings
northshields
Contributor
Message 23 of 29

pafos,

Your experience is certainly interesting. It does however raise the question of whether the problem with the BT device is down to hardware or software.

The other problem when deciding whether or not to try an alternative is how few manufacturers produce "triple" packs.

0 Ratings
pafos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 29

HI  No problems with triple packs. I just went on E Bay and bought a twin kit then bought two more individual items of the same make and of course thaes  connected together in seconds to form the network. I am not going to mention the manufacturer by name on the forum but it begins with D !

Regards

Peter

0 Ratings
woodbank
Message 25 of 29

0 Ratings
Duggee
Beginner
Message 26 of 29

Thanks for posting, but unfortuantely this is not the same product. This firmware  is for the Dual Band 600 extender - the posts above are referring to the Mini Spot 600 Extender - the Mini Spot 600 is only 2.4GHz band as well

Regards

0 Ratings
woodbank
Message 27 of 29

Whoops.  I agree. Note to BT: If you've got different products, give them recognizeably different names.

0 Ratings
Johnoo44
Message 28 of 29

Just got a couple of Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600

Is there an updated firmware for these mine is V1.0.0

I get intermittent drops for 2 to 3mins , a few times a day. 

Cheers

0 Ratings
pafos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 29

Hi.. I do not really know !! I tried  for a long time to find one but gave up. I had many problems with these units so much so that I sold them all and bought Devolo versions and they have worked for a long time know and NEVER once dropped a connection. They cost a bit more but are proplem free with very good user software.

Sorry cannot be of any more help

0 Ratings