Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glennscott
Message 1 of 8

More than 6 Bt Wholehome Disc's

Go to solution

Hi, 

Has anyone found a way to add a 7th dish to the BT Wholehome system? I have 6 connected and working perfectly.

In the BT app the "add disk" is greyed out. I suspect the system only supports 6, but I have been unable to confirm this, I would really like to add one more unit.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: More than 6 Bt Wholehome Disc's

Go to solution
Hi, 6 discs is indeed the maximum.
BT Device ExpertBruno
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Can I ask why is it only limited to 6? The whole point of mesh networking is that you can daisy chain and this extend the network. I have a large house with stone walls and it seems I have just wasted ££’s of investing in a BT WholeHome network
mcbro
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I would also like to add a 7th disc to reach my garage and am puzzled as to why this is not possible

mcbro
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

So I succumbed to Black Friday and got a further 2 discs, knowing that I could only add 1 to my existing 5 disc set up based on the above. If nothing else I thought I could upgrade my father-in-law-law’s set-up with my spare disc. The 6th one added seamlessly via the usual plug in to router and wait for the update and the solid blue light after 5 mins. And then I thought, why not, let’s see if I can get the solid blue on them 7th disc. Plugged it into the router and waited as usual, purple, flashing blue, solid blue, purple, flashing blue, solid blue. And solid blue remained.

I relocated the disc and lo and behold I have a 7 disk set up. Not sure how to describe the topology but disc 7 has attached itself to another disc and not to the primary disc that’s attached to the router. But I’m well chuffed as I’ve now got WiFi in my garage 😃

BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @mcbro. Great stuff. Good to see it's working for you.

For others who may be tempted to try this, please note that maximum supported is still 6 discs.

Anything more than that and we can't guarantee that the system can remain stable.

Also, the App will not display the 7th disc and you may see some strange behaviour.

But good to see people experimenting Smiley Happy

BT Device ExpertBruno
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
jswanston
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
I would also like to have more 6 disks. I live in an old house and need a disc for each room due to the thick stone walls. one for the garage and also one for the garden would be great!
0 Ratings
mcbro
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi jswanton

I've had a bit of a move around of my disks now and have managed to get one into my garden some distance from the nearest one in my house. I’ve installed CCTV which whilst wireless, wouldn’t reach my gates where I wanted to install a camera. So I’ve managed to get a disk by the gates and installed it in an IP66 rated box and then fed an Ethernet cable to the camera. It works perfectly, plus the added bonus of WiFi down the garden !

The disk is only showing as a “poor” signal at 2.4 MHz but it is stable. I did find that I needed to install one of my disks in the window as the WiFi signal to the gates disk gets through glass easier than brick.

Hope you have success with your set-up. 

0 Ratings