Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdacolin
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: More than 6 Bt Wholehome Disc's

Go to solution

I couldn’t add using gui. App kept saying limit is 6. I added 7th disc by plugging into router via Ethernet. After I placed it I was relocating one of the other discs and the 7th appeared in the App. All seven still there, All stable.

0 Ratings
sparkybun
Beginner
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

For what it's worth.  I just added Disc 7 to the Network and all fine.  APP will not allow it AND the Disc would not display the Blue light for 30 secs while connected to Router to set up.  However, while it was connected to the Router it showed in the APP and was able to configure it...then unplugged it........moved it to where i wanted it....plugged it in.............Connected a PC to it via cable and Speedtest...........got 220Mb.......( I have Ultrfast).

I haven't tried an 8th since my eigth is a Master Disk and not sure if they work as Normal Disks?

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

*8 BT whole home WiFi (not Mini, not premium) discs connected *

Today, I added  disc #7 & #8 easily to my mesh. I believe 8 is the maximum and they are all showing up in the BT app.

Simply connect thru cat5 cable go your router, followed by plugging the power adapter in a socket and turning the disc on. Let it do its job for 5 minutes and you should have ended up with the disc being added (all details are automatically copied).

Turn the power off and disconnect the cat5 cable and power adapter. Relocate the disc to a new position and let it settle for a few hours. If the disc is at a very different outer range location, you might have to reset the mesh in the BT app for the disc to find its new spot.

Have fun!

0 Ratings
kevinjday
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Hi Engelbertink,

Do you know if this is possible if you are not using a BT router/BT Wifi.  I have sky through a separate router connected to my 'master' disc.

Thanks for any help, 
Kevin

0 Ratings
Slimboyfat
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Hi, I'm not a BT router user (on the Isle of Man, so not an option!) But I now have 7 disks in play and appearing in the app..... The add a disk option wasn't available in the app, but I plugged one in anyway  (ethernet into the back of another random disk) and let it sync - then wandered off and ignored it for an hour or two (kids distracted me!)

When I looked in the app later, it was "just there" so could be renamed and moved etc.....

Now working perfectly 😃

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

That’s exactly how it works!

For me the network became unstable after a couple of weeks, an 8th disc will show up in the app as well but made it even more unstable...

I have no problem for months now with 6 disc. Hopefully this info helps.

0 Ratings
kevinjday
Beginner
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help... 8 discs setup and all working well at 5ghz...  All visible in the app.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Great to hear!

Please let this forum know how you get on in a month/2 months time...

My experience is that the mesh became unstable after a few months, disc disconnecting despite app showing blue connection, slower speeds etc. I then had to reset all discs and start from scratch...

0 Ratings
reg228
Beginner
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

I have an update some 3 years after the original post.

I am now running 8 discs, nice and stable and all 8 are showing in the App.

You can't add them via the App but a BT tech support engineer told me over the phone that the system will support up to 16 discs. I bought a Whole Home 2-disc set for £99 (vs £79 for a single disc) BT Whole Home Wi-Fi – Twin Pack (092099) | BT Shop and both added in to my system seamlessly. 

To add disc 7 onwards, simply plug the new disc into the router, wait for the series of LED's (purple, flashing purple, flashing blue, solid blue BE VERY PATIENT HERE AND LET IT STAY SOLID BLUE FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS BEFORE DISCONNECTING. Remember, they will update their firmware when plugged in and may go through this updating process a number of times so the adding of the disc might take up to 10 minutes). The new disc should then appear in your App. Re-site it where you need it and you're good to go. I added two extras discs to my 'maximum 6' three days ago and they have been flawless since that point.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanjs for your reply which is useful for any BT WHW enthusiast!

It is great news that BT confirmed 16 discs is now positively. Do you know of a BT website boasting about this improvement as that would be fantastic!?

I know 8 discs can show up in the app but how about disc #9-16? What did the BT engineer say about that?

Last year I added extra discs (7+8) in exactly the same way as you described. It seemed to work. But the system got UNSTABLE after several weeks. After a month or 2, more often a disc would be blue but had actually dropped of the mesh and was not part of it anymore. Sometimes turning the disc on/off would help bring it back into the mesh but other times it would then stay red. Restarting the whole mesh sometimes helped but not always. I then had to reset all discs and start from scratch!

I really hope that is not the case for you and you are the proof of BT having given it a serious lift in stability.

Fyi - I tried the very expensive PRO tri band version of these discs from BT. I only needed 3 discs instead of 5 or 6 but they continued to disconnect if you had an appliance (SkyQ Mini box for example) connected to it. Known problems with back haul and Sky apparently so I returned to my BT WHW discs...

0 Ratings