OK. Update time.
My App is happily showing 8 discs and all are connected.
Disc #7 has had the name updated but Disc #8 stubbornly refuses to be renamed so is stuck as 'New Disc'
Touch wood I have had no instability (if anything, things have improved over the 6-disc set-up)
Am I going for #9. Not needed so I will stay with my stable system for now.
There's no official release that I can find to support the engineers 16 disc claim.
I'm just happy I have a stable system giving the coverage I need everywhere. I just wish I could now get a faster connection speed than the 40Mbps download and 6Mbps uploads that I currently have.
Thank you for the update - I’m sure everyone having these BT discs appreciate it.
Keep it coming!
Hey all, I signed up especially to thank everyone on this thread.
Long story short I actually need 7 discs, mega old house which is a funny shape and goodness only knows what is in the walls!
Thought I would share my experience, btw it works.
Got myself another disc of eBay, £40 including postage! Steal! Plugged it into my router booted it up, it went solid blue and appeared in the app as ‘Middle Room’ and errored each time I tired to change the name. As a test I took it to its new home however only got a red light. At this point the only think I could think of was that it needed to be factory reset as I assume the previous owner just unplugged it, they didn’t seem so that techie, no offence meant.
Took is back to the router room , factory reset it and only then powered off and reconnected to the router. Once blue I took it to its new home and low and behold this time it pinged off the other disc upstairs and was working great, it was now listed as ‘Wi-Fi Disc 66’. As far as the network is concerned it is stable but the app on the other hand seems to report problems here or when trying to rename a disc, forget offline devices or block devices it seems to throw and error and then sometimes says I’m not connected to the internet. Having said that though I am connected to the internet, it mostly seems just the app is a bit confused…
Remote connecting via HTTP to the master disc seems more reliable when renaming the disc, took a few attempts but everything works now and like I said, the network itself is solid and for what it’s worth the app seems to have settled down which I doubt it has to be fair.
So thanks all, I took a punt and bought a 7th and it’s all good! I hope that BT don’t release a firmware update at some point hard blocking extra discs because although the app gets weird the mesh itself seems cool with it!
3 years on, and still not been updated to support more than 6 discs.
Some of us need that larger range.
THIS WARNING SHOULD BE WRITTEN ON THE BOXES IN BLOODY LARGE WRITING.