Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

New Wifi discs

Go to solution

I understand that the new Wi Fi discs have an ethernet socket. Has anyone tried to use one to connect to a BT Youview TV box. I want to move my Youview box to a room in which an ethernet connection is virtually impossible. I have not had a reliable connection via power line adaptors. On the face of it this might be a solution. Also will the discs work only work from the smarthub? I use a Homehub 5 which is much more reliable than the smarthub albeit with an cable connection to the TV box

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Wifi discs

Go to solution

Hi @Dave5, thanks for your interest.

Can you please confirm, are you interested in the Whole Home Wi-Fi (white discs), or the Complete Wi-Fi (black discs)?

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

The black discs, I think. I wanted to know whether they have sufficient strength and reliabilty of signal from the router so that if a Youview box was connected via the ethernet socket on the disc, the Youview box would work

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Dave5, see this other thread where this topic was covered by @LukeBuxton.

Essentially, it might work, but it's not officially supported by BT TV.

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for this, and I accept what you advise, but why does the NOWTV box which I use in the room where I would like to put the Youview box work so well. It has all the Freebiew channels and Watch again and works really well using Wi Fi. Why can't the BT box be as effective!?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The BT YouView box extra content is delivered by multicast which requires a good error free transmission path, to work properly.

Now TV uses unicast which is does not have these limitations.

0 Ratings