cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

New lead required for a BT big button phone 200v2

Go to solution

Hello,

My BT cable from phone to wall as supplied with my big button 200 phone is damaged, so I ordered a new one. It arrived and I plugged it in but is still not working, so I thought I’d been unlucky and bought a dud, so ordered another from a different supplier this didn’t work either.  All I want is a 5m cable to replace the broken one so I can improve the cable management and stop the new cable being damaged, oh and make calls again.   What 5m cable do I need to order, I can’t find anything on the BT shop but may not be searching on the right language?  I have spent several hours over the last couple of days trying to understand the different cables out there, lots of experts explains how polarity switch pr straight through should all work, but clearly I’m missing something.

In short I would be very grateful if someone could link me to a 5m cable that would work for my BT big button 200 v2 phone.

thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: New lead required for a BT big button phone 200v2

Go to solution

@simonjdlf 

Have to tried Discomm, they are a BT spares supplier. They sell a refurbished big button 200 phone for £19.99, which you could use for spares?

You would have to check with them to make sure it has a cord with it. They may also have a suitable cord.

You could use a shorter cord and just add an extension lead.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Keith thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will contact Discomm and ask if they have a 5m cable for this type of phone. If they don’t I’ll go for a working used with cable and buy an extension lead.  Latter option expensive but need to get the phone working again. 

I can only guess this type of phone must have a special cable different to other phones.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It may be that the V2 has a different cable to the V1. I think the issue may be due to the fact that many earlier phones had a three wire connection. Two wires for the phone communication, and a separate "ring" wire for the internal ringer. This was to prevent "bell" tinkle when pulse dialling was selected, and more than one phone was connected to the line

Modern phones only use two wires, and tone dialling.

You may need to look at the ends of the leads to see how many connections are showing on the original lead, and see if they are the same with any new lead.

If a phone cable is damaged, its normally possible, and quite safe, to strip the damaged end back, and re-terminate the wires and individually insulate each one. You can either use a small screw terminal block, or solder the wire ends if you can.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Like a fool I disposed of the wire, thinking it will be a simple replacement of a few pounds, but yes I wish I had done that. So many times have I regretted chucking stuff out. When I get a working cable I will look at the ends and see what is special for the Big Button and let this thread know.

Thanks again for helping me out with this.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Just in case anyone else needs a new cable for their BT Big Button 200 v2, I can recommend getting in touch with https://www.discomm.co.uk/.  I called them on Thursday, they made a cable to my specifications and it arrived within 24 hours. 

Looking at the cable I believe the pins at each end of the cable go from pins 2 and 5 to pins 2 and 5 at the other end, not 3&4 as the incorrect cables I purchased do. I hope my error saves you time and money.

Thanks again to Keith for putting me in touch with this supplier, great tip.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@simonjdlf  Excellent 😀

It sounds like they are very helpful, as they are the main BT Spares supplier.

0 Ratings