cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: No IP addresses left. Allocated to ‘Disconnected’ devices.

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@V_Meldrewwrote:

"A new MAC will be used whenever a new address has been generated and the device re-joins the network" (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651151) hence with DHCP there is the potential for the one device to create not just one or two MAC and IP addresses on your hub but multiple entries.

That would imply that whenever a DHCP lease expires, and the Apple device requests another, a new MAC address is generated.

That's the way I read it as well

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this 🙂.  Whether or not Apple’s new security feature does or does not lead to multiple entries for one device in the address table, BT’s router does not release IP addresses for lease expired devices.  As explained by Keith this is by design and something BT do not seem to want to rectify.  Again, its not something I’ve ever seen in other routers.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Android doesn’t have this ‘Private Address’ feature soon, if not already so this ‘issue’ won’t go away and will need addressing by router manufacturers as it could cause ongoing support questions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 13

It must be a real problem in a corporate network, where access is granted based on a device MAC address. That is very common.

It also going to prevent BT access control from functioning properly, as that uses the device MAC address, which is supposed to be unique. I am not sure how Apple managed to circumvent this requirement, I would have thought it would have been part of some agreed specification?

As for the home hubs, I can see many problems on the horizon. Of course all the helpdesk have to do, it to tell the customer to do a factory reset.

0 Ratings