cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siancarr
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Noise when pick up phone

When I answer the BT Convere 2300 phone it makes a weird buzz noise. The caller can also hear it and sometimes they hang up as it sounds like the line has cut off.

How can I fix this? Or is it best to return the product as  faulty?

Thanks,

S.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Noise when pick up phone

Welcome to this user forum.

You need to try another phone, preferably a wired one, to prove that its not a fault on your phone line.

You can get a cheap wired phone for less than £10.

Its also best to check at the test socket, to prove the problem is not on your internal wiring.

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
B13blues
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Yes certainly need a corded phone i've had that happen on countless cordless phones.

0 Ratings
siancarr
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks Keith. Yes I used to have a different wired phone and this worked fine. We have bought a few BT Converse 2300's and it is the same on all of them. Sounds like a manufacturer problem.
0 Ratings
siancarr
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks... It is a corded phone.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@siancarr wrote:
Thanks Keith. Yes I used to have a different wired phone and this worked fine. We have bought a few BT Converse 2300's and it is the same on all of them. Sounds like a manufacturer problem.

I see it has a power supply unit. What happens if you unplug the power unit? The phone should still work, but some feature will be missing.

When you say you have a few phones, are you a business user?

0 Ratings
siancarr
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Yes that's right - we have them in the work office. If it's making the noise for multiple phones using different network sockets does this mean that the phones are faulty?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@siancarr wrote:

Yes that's right - we have them in the work office. If it's making the noise for multiple phones using different network sockets does this mean that the phones are faulty?

Thanks!

This is actually the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

I suspect that you may also have to talk to whoever provides your internal phone system, as its possible you are plugging an analogue phone into a digital or Ethernet port, or there is crosstalk between the analogue and digital wiring, which is inducing noise on the phones.

It could also be an issue with the way the phone port are configured, perhaps there is too much signal gain?

They may be very sensitive to stray digital signals and the buzzing noise would indicate digital pickup.

It would be interesting to see if inserting a microfilter, like the ones you would use on your home broadband, in the lead to the phone, to see if it stops the buzzing. Microfilters are designed to filter out any digital signals.

You could try it on just one of the phones first, to see if it stops the noise.

This is a microfilter.

microfilter.jpg

Ignore the modem connection, just plug the end into the phone socket, and then plug the phone into the phone socket on the microfilter. Its worth a try, as microfilters are cheap and easy to obtain.

siancarr
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Great thank you for this suggestion. I will find a microfilter and see if this fixes the problem. 

0 Ratings