cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 68

Re: Original Whole Home discs ethernet port

@ben_flugel  unfortunately this does not work with the smarthub 2 as there is no legacy steering option available. The problem seems to be only with White discs if you have a smarthub 2 and black discs there does not seem to be a problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 68

Yes my setup is with the original version of the white discs. 

My setup runs with an Asus DSL-AC68U router. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 68

Unfortunately this didnt solve the problem for me. As soon as I plug my Sky Q tv box via ethernet into my white disc it breaks the network still (That disc goes flashing blue until ethernet unplugged). Only happened since the last sky update though. More details here https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-just-stopped-working-with-BT-Home-Hub-disc/td-p/3412162/hig...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 68

It seems it hasn't solved the problem for me either. I've just had an outage in one part of my house. Moved to another part of the house so my laptop would connect to another disc, logged into the GUI of the Whole Home system to find the disc that covers that part of the house now shows "ethernet". Up time listed at 4 days but it has decided to switch to ethernet. The device plugged into the ethernet port is a Sky Q Mini box.

All devices in that part of the house maintain a wifi connection, and even phones which normally tell you if you have wifi but no internet, believed the connection was internet enabled. Any browsing attempts failed though.

A reboot of the affected disc put it back to a 5ghz backhaul connection and restored connectivity. No rhyme or reason to it. Nothing changed on my main router (DSL and device uptime showing as 14 days) and no reboots or changes to the Sky Q box.

I've replied to the ticket with helpdesk and included logs with it in this failed state. Hopefully this sheds some light. It's incredibly frustrating.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 68

It's happened a further 3 times on the same disc since posting my update yesterday after over 4 days of working fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 68

Whilst it is useful that BT have recognised there is a problem with wholehome discs and Ethernet with Q the work around is unfortunately of no help as Ethernet to discs is usually used when the Q mesh is inadequate to reach mini boxes.

Hopefully BT and Sky are working together to solve the problem and it will be resolved speedily.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 68

What is the workaround? Is it the one where you connect the Sky tv box to the Sky router? Or is there something else people are doing?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 68

@stitch666  Have a look at the post that is pinned by a moderator (first pinned one),  unfortunately the work round is just a link to Sky's official way of connecting main boxes to the router by WiFi which unfortunately is why Ethernet is needed to the discs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 68

Thanks I hadn’t noticed that post being posted as I’ve been refreshing the ones I had already read. Yep, same problem here and the Sky box is too far away from the Sky router to connect. Bit frustrating but at least I know it’s been recognised as a problem so hopefully someone is working on it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 68

I see the workaround is to connect via WiFi to the disc (as the link goes to third party provider setup), for some reason I can’t even do that, it connects to the disc for abo7t a minute and then drops out. Can anyone else connect wirelessly to a white disc with the Sky q tv box?

0 Ratings