cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 31 of 68

Re: Original Whole Home discs ethernet port

My disks were already set to manual, plus all steering options were switched off and it is happening still to me with Sky Q.  

I was away when it happened, but Sky could see that before the updated my FW on Q, all was working, but after the update they no longer saw the minis that were connected via Ethernet to the disks, so it appears that Q120 is either the root cause or Q120 has triggered an underlying issue with either Q networking, BT WHW networking, or a combination of them working together.

What’s interesting is that my powerline adapters still work with Q minis, it’s just Q connected by Ethernet to WHW that breaks the environment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 68

@jrewillis adjust to confirm, before I mess about with stuff and annoy the wife, that you have your Sky TV box connected via Ethernet to a whole home disc and that is working fine (I’m not bothered about the Q mini side of things). Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 68

@stitch666  I can't answer for the whole home discs but the Black "complete WiFi" ones work fine like that. At least mine does.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 68

@Bob1001 Thanks for the reply but my question is specifically for the white discs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 35 of 68

I have previously done this in my old house, connecting Q main to white WHW disks which worked fine back then. I use powerline currently to Q main.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 68

@Joe1971 thanks. I am not sure if you have read this whole thread? The question is about the latest Sky update causing the Ethernet connection to no longer work which has only happened recently. It’s been working fine for literally years and multiple users are now reporting issues with BT also acknowledging the issue (see pinned post). Can you confirm that within the last week you have had a white disc connected to sky tv box via Ethernet and it is working - we already know that historically it works, we are talking about right now or the last few days.

edit : I can see you’ve replied a lot in this thread so I am even more confused by your reply now. I know it used to work because mine used to work. When you say you use power line are you talking from the Sky router to the tv box because I would expect that to work.  Or are you using a power line from a white BT disc?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 68

@stitch666 I’ve read through the the thread and am suffering the same issues, with 3 minis which have been connect to the white WHW disks for about 2 years now quite happily.

In my old house the main Q disk and Minis were connected via WHW and Ethernet.

In my new house, for other reasons, the minis were still connected to WHW via Ethernet while the Q main is connected via powerline, although I did for a while have it happily connected to a Q disk when I first moved here.

This has been working fine since I moved house in December until 3 weeks ago (on a Tuesday night when I was away) when Sky updated my FW on the Q environment to Q120, and now none of my Q connected minis work via ethernet on the WHW.

I spoke to a Sky mesh engineer who categorically states that he could see everything connected in their logs before the FW update happened, after which he could seen no further comms with the previously happy minis. 

If they are plugged in via Ethernet, the disk light turns red, shows as red in the app, with the disk isolating itself in the WHW app if you are connected to that disk via a phone or tablet, while no other disk can be seen.  Walk around the house and connect to another disk that isn’t connected to a mini and you can see all the devices in the app again, however the Ethernet connected ones at showing as disconnected.

Unplug the Q mini from the WHW disk and the mesh recovers again and the app shows that and no red lights.  All Wi-Fi was switched off on the Q minis and router.

So, yes, I don’t have the main Q box attached to a WHW disk at the moment, but I have had recently and it was all fine.  

It is a similar issue to yours in that devices, in my case the minis, don’t work when plugged in via Ethernet on WHW disks, although, interestingly, do work with powerline still but I can’t use that in areas where two of the devices are located.

For me, this has either been caused by Sky Q firmware Q120 being deployed, or Q120 has exposed a bug somewhere in the WHW firmware.  

This is also being discussed on the Sky Help forum to which I have contributed so it’s a definite issue.

I’m not sure whether it’s a BT or Sky issue but I really need this to be working again quickly, as it was 3 weeks ago.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 68

Okay thanks.  

My post was to Jrewillis who has reported that since changing to static IP address they are connected via ethernet from a white disc to the sky box and has been working for the last 7 days on the latest Sky Q update.  I am hoping they respond to my post asking for confirmation before I start messing without IP address since I cant afford to have internet drop outs during the working day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 39 of 68

Yes, so I have a Sky router connected to an 8 port unmanaged switch. This has my primary WHW disk connected to it via Ethernet and also a master Powerline adapter. I have a paired powerline adapter connected via Ethernet to the Q main box. All powerline connected kit and mini is working fine with Sky Q.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 68

Unfortunately I don’t have power adapters, or a switch.  

As I said, I am waiting to hear from the person who has put static IP addresses outside the DHCP range and is suffering no problems. 

0 Ratings