cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 68

Re: Original Whole Home discs ethernet port

Unfortunately this is already set to static in my environment and has had no effect.

Not  saying it won’t for other, just didn’t make any difference for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 68

Hi

So my setup is as follows

Router with main disc connected. Sky main box plugged into router. 

3 additional discs around the house - 2 of which have sky q minis plugged in with ethernet. 

The discs are setup with manual IP addresses 

Sky Q boxes have their WiFi turned off in the engineer menu - and I've confirmed this by checking with a WiFi scanner that the WiFi signals are no longer active from the sky q. 

Hope that helps. If you need any further clarity then let me know. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 68

@jrewillis do you mind confirming what you mean by "Router with main disc connected. Sky main box plugged into router".

When you say router do you mean the Sky Q broadband router or do you mean another type of router.  And then when you say Sky main box plugged into router - do you mean the Sky TV box is physically plugged into a router - what is that router?  Isnt the only thing the Sky main TV box should be plugged into is a white disc in this scenario?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 68

It's a 3rd party router (tp link) but it always has been. I haven't changed that. 

The main sky box has an ethernet cable running from the sky box to the router.

The BT whole home disc is also connected to my router via ethernet - this is my master disc

The other 3 discs connect using 5ghz WiFi back haul and then on 2 of those I use the Ethernet ports to connect sky q mini boxes. 

Make sense? One WHW disc must be connected directly to the router - otherwise it won't work - and I wasn't going to put 2 discs in my living room when the router and sky box are physically next to each other. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 68

@jrewillis  Ah okay, so your main sky box is connected directly to a router and not a disc.  Then yes that will work, I can run a really long ethernet cable from my sky box to the router and it works fine.  What doesnt work is the Sky Q TV box connected to the White disc via ethernet, but it doesnt look like you do that in your set up and you havent tested that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 68

Just checking though. If you are trying to connect your main sky q box to the whole home disc via ethernet.

You do have another disc that is connected via ethernet to your router don't you? Otherwise it obviously wouldn't work. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 68

Yes of course lol.  Like everyone else here the set up has been running flawlessly since installation.  Its only since the latest Q update that it doesn't - plus the fact BT themselves have acknowledged the problem and they are supposedly working on a fix.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 68

Yeah. It was definitely an issue with the new Q firmware. I noticed it immediately. Exactly the same issue - specifically when you plugged a mini into a disc it killed the disc and neither device worked. The rest of the WiFi worked but you had to physically move to a different disc. 

Setting the IP addresses seems to of solved it for me. 

Just out of interest are you with sky for your ISP and are you using their router? What model? 

I'm using TP link - it might be the router clashing with something? I'm guessing it's DHCP related as now I've set them manually it doesn't have the issues. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 49 of 68

Yep, I’m using the Sky Q router, ER115. Not the oldest, but not the newest.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 68

My set up is really simple.  Sky everything (broadband and TV).  So Sky router with a white disc attached.  Then a white disc by the Sky TV box attached to the Sky TV box via ethernet.  Thats it.  I dont have minis or anything.  It doesnt appear that me changing the IP addresses will do much - I know you appear to have solved your issue with the minis - are you able to connect the main sky tv box to the white disc?  I notice in a previous post you said its been working for 7 days now - does that include the Sky TV box connected via ethernet to a white disc?  Or do you mean you are still using a work around of cabling straight to the router?

0 Ratings