cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 61 of 68

Re: Original Whole Home discs ethernet port

I rolled back a few weeks ago and been fine since.

This is the thread, https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-with-BT-Wholehome/m-p/3453270#M354519 .  Kenny-J is the Sky employee on this particular thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 68

My broadband is with EE and I use my own Asus router rather than a Q router. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 63 of 68

Ah, ok.  In that thread somewhere Kenny-J alludes to Sky working with BT, so possible other BB providers, about a known issue, so fingers crossed they’ll find the problem and fix it soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 68

Thanks.  Had a quick glance as I'm at work.  Are they talking about rolling back the BT firmware? I thought the issue was the Sky update?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 65 of 68

No, the Q router firmware.  I have noticed (been with Q since day 1) that there is often a Q router f/w change around the time they release Q box f/w, probably as the Q router and Q box network Stack is so intertwined.

Kenny-J got in contact with me via DM on the Sky forum, and Sky rolled back the Q router firmware on my router a few weeks ago, and it’s been all good since.

I never posted anything here really about it though as I thought BT may have had an official update, plus the fix is a Sky one for the Q router, so looks like Q is still unreliable on other BB providers still.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 66 of 68

I've replaced 6 BT discs with 2 of the Asus Zenwifi XT8 devices. It doesn't quite give me same coverage as the BT discs do and my wifi does fall down in terms of signal but it doesn't seem to affect the speed. In reality, I'll probably need a 3rd unit to give me the same coverage as the 6 BT discs, but yes, they are uber expensive.

It's not really a fair comparison with the original BT discs given the Asus units are significantly better spec and significantly more expensive. But for me these are working brilliantly. I can plug Sky Q in with a cable and it works and I can connect Sky Q via wireless and it works. Both were extremely troublesome with the BT units. As it's less clutter, I'll stick to Sky Q via wireless.

I love the Asus UI too and the features it has blows the BT units away. Again, it's unfair to directly compare them as they're aimed at different people but if money is no object, and if my experience is anything to go by, you'll only need half the number of units compared with the Whole Home devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 67 of 68

With those who have Sky as the ISP, rolling back the software seems to cure the problems with ethernet connections white discs. However it does not help if Sky is not your ISP.

Sky and BT are supposed to be working on this problem which started when Sky update to Q120, however there has been another update Q130 a couple of days ago.

Not everyone has had this yet but I wonder if that has cured the problem, Sky are very quiet when it comes to what updates do and BT has been silent on the issue since the first acknowledgement that there was a problem. (there is a pinned statement)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 68

Thanks for letting us know about the new update, let’s hope that fixes things.  I have been unable to roll back despite messages to Sky and messages on the sky forum so I am still in a position where it is not working.  

0 Ratings